Health Information Management Major
The Health Information Management major provides students with an understanding of medical science, patient information management, information technology and business management that make up this allied healthcare profession. The program prepares student for the electronic management of patient health information and health care organization revenue cycles. The program is structured to provide a professional education with a comprehensive curriculum and is guided by the principle of quality health care through quality information.
|Anatomy & Physiology||3cr|
|Health Care Finance||3cr|
|Health Care Organizations Management||3cr|
|Medical Coding and Billing I||3cr|
|Medical Coding and Billing II||3cr|
|Human Resource Management||3cr|
|Introduction to Computer Science||3cr|
|Health Care Systems and Administration||3cr|
|Principles of Health Information Management||3cr|
|Contemporary Ethical Issues in Health Care||3cr|
|Health Information Systems||3cr|
|Medical Vocabularies and Classification Systems||3cr|
|Electronic Health Records and Health Information Exchange||3cr|
|Health Care Information Law, Privacy, and Security||3cr|
|Health Care Research and Quality||3cr|
|Health Care Database Design and Development||3cr|
|Health Care Statistics||3cr|
|Health Information Management Practicum||3cr|
|Health Information Management Capstone||3cr|
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who graduate with a major in Health Information Management will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the different fields of medical science, information technology and business management applicable in health information management.
- Demonstrate a fundamental knowledge of facts, terms and concepts important to the processing of health information.
- Apply information acquisition skills to the processing, maintenance and security of health information.
- Demonstrate an ability to do the coding and billing important in the processing of health information.
- Understand database information technology and apply it to modern electronic medical records management.
- Understand and use quantitative and qualitative research methodologies in health information management
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of maintaining quality management techniques in health information management.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of the maintenance of staff development in health information management.
- Understand and use project management techniques and their application to modern business management.