Health Information Management Major
The Health Information Management major provides students with an understanding of medical science, information technology and business management that make up this allied healthcare profession. The course of study covers the required areas of knowledge that need to be acquired in order to be employed in this profession. These areas include Health Data Management; Health Statistics, Biomedical Research and Quality Management; Health Services Organization and Delivery; Information Technology and Systems and Organization and Management. The courses are arranged in two groups: HIM Foundation courses and HIM Major courses. This division establishes a background in fundamentals before more advanced subject matters are studied.
|Anatomy & Physiology||3cr|
|Health Care Finance||3cr|
|Health Care Economics||3cr|
|Transcultural Competency in Health Care||3cr|
|Health Care Organizations Management||3cr|
|Medical Coding and Billing||3cr|
|Human Resource Management||3cr|
|Introduction to Computer Science||3cr|
|Health Care Systems and Administration||3cr|
|Medical Records Science||3cr|
|Contemporary Ethical Issues in Health Care||3cr|
|Health Information Systems||3cr|
|Medical Vocabularies and Classification Systems||3cr|
|Electronic Health Records and Health Information Exchange||3cr|
|Health Care Information Privacy and Security||3cr|
|Health Care Research and Quality||3cr|
|Health Care Database Design and Development||3cr|
|Health Care Statistics||3cr|
|Health Information Management Capstone||3cr|
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who graduate with a major in Health Information Management will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the different fields of medical science, information technology and business management applicable in health information management.
- Demonstrate a fundamental knowledge of facts, terms and concepts important to the processing of health information.
- Apply information acquisition skills to the processing, maintenance and security of health information.
- Demonstrate an ability to do the coding and billing important in the processing of health information.
- Understand database information technology and apply it to modern electronic medical records management.
- Understand and use quantitative and qualitative research methodologies in health information management
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of maintaining quality management techniques in health information management.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of the maintenance of staff development in health information management.
- Understand and use project management techniques and their application to modern business management.