CharterOak.edu Privacy Notice
The Charter Oak State College (COSC) knows that you care how information about you
is used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and
are accepting the practices described in this Privacy Notice.
What Personal Information About Customers Does CharterOak.edu Gather?
The information we learn from students helps us personalize and continually improve
your experience at CharterOak.edu. Here are the types of information we gather.
- Information You Give Us: We receive and store any information you enter on our Web site or give us in any
other way. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not
be able to take advantage of many of our features. We use the information that you
provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing future services
for you, improving our services, and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us.
For example, like many Web sites, we use "cookies," and we obtain certain types of
information when your Web browser accesses CharterOak.edu. A number of companies offer
utilities designed to help you visit Web sites anonymously. Although we will not be
able to provide you with a personalized experience at CharterOak.edu if we cannot
recognize you, we want you to be aware that these tools exist.
- E-mail Communications: To help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we often receive a confirmation
when you open e-mail from CharterOak.edu if your computer supports such capabilities.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure
Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input.
- We reveal only the last five digits of your credit card numbers when confirming an
order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit
card company during order processing.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and
to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
Remarketing and Advertising
CharterOak.edu uses third-party tracking tools to provide data about our website visitation
and to create remarketing audiences. No personally identifiable information is sent
via these third-party tracking tools. Anonymized information about your device and
browsing actions are set in cookies on your computer and are collected via third-party
tracking tools. These are some of the third-party tracking tools we may use at any
given time, and how to opt-out:
Learn more about turning on your browser's "Do Not Track" setting.
See this guide to preventing many kinds of targeting and tracking.
What Choices Do I Have?
- As discussed above, you can always choose not to provide information, even though
it might be needed to make a purchase.
- Opt-out of tracking, enable your "Do Not Track" in your browser, or take other tracking
& targeting avoidance measures.
- Emails we send via our email marketing tools contain instructions and links to unsubscribe.
Conditions of Use, Notices, and Revisions
If you choose to visit CharterOak.edu, your visit and any dispute over privacy is
subject to this Notice and our Conditions of Use, including limitations on damages,
arbitration of disputes, and application of the law of the State of Connecticut. If
you have any concern about privacy at CharterOak.edu, please send us a thorough description
to George F. Claffey Jr, and we will try to resolve it. Our business changes constantly.
This Notice and the Conditions of Use will change also, and use of information that
we gather now is subject to the Privacy Notice in effect at the time of use. We may
e-mail periodic reminders of our notices and conditions, unless you have instructed
us not to, but you should check our Web site frequently to see recent changes.