Certificate in Land Surveying
The certificate in Land Surveying is designed for students with a background in land surveying who desire to advance their knowledge of the art and science of the profession and better prepare themselves for professional licensure. It is also designed to allow students with no land surveying experience to better transition into the profession.
|Core Courses (Possible Waivers)|
|Introduction to Surveying*||4cr upper level|
|Advanced Surveying*||3cr upper level|
|Introduction to CAD*||3cr upper level|
|MAT 105: Statistics||3 cr|
|PLG 210: Legal Research and Writing||3 cr|
|Introduction to GIS||3 cr|
|Introduction to GPS||3cr upper level|
|EGR 410: Boundary Law*||3 cr|
*CST Level 2 may be substituted for Introduction to Surveying.
CST Level 3 may be substituted for Intro. and Adv. Surveying.
The Certified Survey Technician (CST) examination series is administered by the National Society of Professional Surveyors.
*FS or PS may be substituted for Intro. and Adv. Surveying. Fundamentals of Surveying and Professional Surveyor examinations administered by The National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying.
Student Portfolio may be substituted for Introduction to CAD.
Note: Additional courses may have to be taken to meet the course prerequisites, particularly in mathematics.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete a certificate in Land Surveying will be able to:
- demonstrate measuring and map-making skills;
- demonstrate good teamwork practices;
- utilize advanced electronic instrumentation in measuring;
- make various types of maps in a computer environment;
- apply and use geodesy, coordinate systems, and GPS operations;
- apply GIS mapping principles and applications to surveying;
- utilize statistics in evaluating surveying data; and
- apply legal principles to the resolution of land surveying boundary problems.