The Credential in After School Education is a professional certification program developed through collaboration among Charter Oak State College, the Connecticut After School Network, and Connecticut Charts-A-Course. The Credential establishes educational and experiential competency standards for specialists in the care and education of children, ages 5 - 15, outside of school hours. Requirements for the Credential consist of four online courses offered by Charter Oak State College, and 240 hours of documented experience in after school education, with submission of a professional resource file and completion of either a 1-credit or a 3-credit field experience course, depending on the applicant's level of previous experience.
The Credential in After School Education courses include:
ASE255: Introduction to After School Care and Education This course must be taken first and is offered every term.
The remaining three courses may be taken in any order except the Practicum which is the last course in the sequence:
- ASE260: Program Environment & Curriculum Development in After School Education
- ASE265: Child and Adolescent Development
- ASE270: Supervision and Leadership in After School Education
Field Experience Practicum (taken after completion of required 12 credits)
- ASE398: Field Experience Practicum - 1-credit - for people who have at least 240 hours of experience OR
- ASE399: Field Experience Practicum - 3-credits - for people without prior experience
All courses are offered online by Charter Oak State College.
Students must earn a C or better in all Credential courses.
- After School Credential Informational Flyer with brief course descriptions (PDF)
- Brochure on the Credential in After School Education (PDF)
To register for a course, please visit Online Course Search. To view and download a course syllabus, please visit Find Your Syllabus, and next to "Select Discipline" choose "After School Education". Click on the link to learn how these courses can be applied toward a Bachelor's Degree with a concentration in Child and Youth Development.
Credential Application Information
To apply for the program, use our online certificate application form. (Please note application fee is good for two years).
For more information, contact Ms. Carole Weisberg at:
Phone: (860) 515-3877
Fax: (860) 606-9674