The Certificate in Health Insurance Customer Services is designed for students who are interested in career development within the Health Insurance industry. It is also appropriate for individuals seeking to transition into the Health Insurance industry. All of the courses are available in an online accelerated format through Charter Oak.
|Course Name||Course Number||# of credits|
|Intro to Health Care Systems & Administration||HCA 101||3|
|Medical Terminology||HCA 105||3|
|The Claims Environment||HCA 111||3|
|Principles of Health Information Management||HIM 115 (formerly HCA 115)||3|
|Health Care Quality||HCA201 or HCA321||3|
|Management Information Systems||ITE 101||3|
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete a certificate in health insurance customer service should be able to:
- describe the different types of health care delivery systems and services
- compare past, present, and anticipated changes in the health care environment
- demonstrate an appreciation of factors that impact behavior in the health care field
- demonstrate an understanding of medical terminology
- describe insurance claim processing from multiple perspectives
- demonstrate an understanding of maintenance and use of medical records
- use research methods appropriate to the field
- demonstrate an understanding of patient rights measures
- demonstrate an understanding of how health care quality is delivered, measured, and monitored
- describe various payment sources and the populations they serve
- demonstrate an understanding of health care financial risk
- assess customer service and client satisfaction
- identify process improvement concepts and principles and apply to the health care field
- demonstrate an understanding of computer applications used in health care
- demonstrate and apply decision-making strategies related to the health care field
- demonstrate an understanding of ethical responsibilities in business and clinical practices
Grades of C or higher must be earned in each certificate course.
Apply using our online Certificate Application Form.
To register for courses, go to Course Search and search under the Departments "Health Care Administration," "Health Information Management," and "Information Technology".