Credential Evaluation by Charter Oak State College is a way of gaining credit for
previously completed certifications or licenses issued by state, national or professional
organizations. Qualified faculty evaluators review examination prerequisites, standards
for passing the exam, and assesses the subject matter, depth, breadth, and academic
rigor of the licensing or certification examination to determine whether the knowledge
tested is equivalent to college-level learning. Students must be able to supply sufficient
information about the content of the examination in order to request evaluation. Certificates
of attendance, non-credit courses offered by regionally accredited institutions, and
multi-course programs are not eligible for evaluation.
Licenses or certificates submitted for evaluation must meet the following three criteria:
- They must be issued by a state, national or professional organization
- They must be obtained through a single qualification exam
- They must not have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE), National
College Credit Recommendation Service (National CCRS), or the Connecticut Credit Assessment
Assessment is conducted by a member of the Charter Oak faculty or a specialist in
the field with knowledge of higher education processes and requirements. The faculty
assessor does the following:
- Reviews the documentation and evaluates the materials for range, depth and quality
to determine whether the knowledge acquired justifies an award of college credit;
- Recommends award of credit, identifying by course name, number of semester hours,
and level of credit; OR
- Denies credit, giving reasons; OR
- Requests further information if documentation demonstrates that there is potential
for an award of credit pending receipt of additional data.
Is Credential Evaluation a good option for you?
Enrolled as a degree student (matriculated) at Charter Oak State College?Credential Evaluation may be a good possibility for you. Matriculated students may:
- Request credit for credentials that have evaluations currently in force (i.e., that
are within 5 years of a previous review)
- Request reviews of credentials that have not previously been evaluated
- Request re-evaluation of credentials with out-of-date previous reviews. Students must
receive prior approval from the Assessment Coordinator before submitting an application
for a Credential Evaluation and must be able to supply all required documentation.
For more information or an application form, contact the Prior Learning Assessment
Coordinator, Linda Wilder at (860) 515-3862 or by e-mail email@example.com.
Earning a degree at another institution, OR not a degree student but need credit on
a transcript for other purposes? You may find that Credential Evaluation helps you to move ahead more quickly toward
your goal. Non-matriculated students may:
- Claim credit for credentials with evaluations currently in force (i.e., within 5 years
of a previous review)
- Establish a Credit Registry to obtain a Charter Oak transcript
- Take advantage of previous evaluations that are still in effect but not request to
initiate new ones or update old reviews.
Requests for new or re-evaluations are not accepted from non-matriculated students. Non-degree students should contact the Assessment
Coordinator to discuss their individual situation and to receive prior approval from
the Assessment Coordinator before submitting an application for a Credential Evaluation.
They must be able to supply all required documentation and are responsible for checking
with their home institution to be sure that such credit will be accepted and applied
toward their degree. For more information or an application form, contact the Prior
Learning Assessment Coordinator, Linda Wilder at (860) 515-3862 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important points to consider if you are thinking of applying for Credential Evaluation:
- Credentials submitted for credit review must be based on some form of testing or other
- Certificates of attendance do not qualify for evaluation
- Evaluations of new or previously reviewed credentials for which credit recommendations
have lapsed are performed only for currently matriculated COSC students.
- Non-credit courses offered by regionally accredited institutions and multi-course
programs are not eligible for Credential Evaluation.
- Charter Oak does not review programs or certificates administered by regionally accredited
colleges or universities.
- Credit awarded is based on equivalency between college course content and the knowledge
assessed on the certification or licensure exam.
- Your experience is not factored into the assessment, because we look at the exam only,
not at the training you've had. Be aware that your experience may cover a wider range
of knowledge than does the exam, but that the credit recommendation will be only for
the content covered by the exam.
- Course equivalencies are determined by the reviewer and can't be specified by the
student. If you require credit for a particular course or courses, then Portfolio
Assessment may be a better fit for your needs.
- If you already have credit in the subject area of the exam, there is a risk that credit
awarded through this process may duplicate some credit already on your transcript.
This is something that you should discuss with your Academic Advisor before requesting
a Credential Evaluation.
- Charter Oak does not base credit awards on credit that may be offered for the license
or certification by other educational institutions.
- Students must receive prior approval to submit materials for Credential Evaluation
and must supply all required documentation.
Sample Credential Reviews:
Expiration Date Credential Subject
1/1/2014 Certified Business Continuity Professional (CBCP):
Disaster Recovery Institute
1/1/2013 Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
6/1/2014 Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA):
6/1/2015 Certified Medical Assistant: American Association
of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
1/1/2014 Computed Tomography: American Registry of Radiologic
6/1/2015 Registered Electroencephalographic Technologist,
1/1/2015 Federal Aviation Administration Airman Certificates
6/1/2015 Histology Technician, HT (ASCP) certification
6/1/2015 Information Technology Infrastructure Library
(ITIL) - Expert certification
6/1/2016 Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
6/1/2015 Healthcare Compliance â€“ Certification (CHC):
Compliance Certification Board
1/1/2014 Mandarin Chinese Writing Proficiency - Superior
Level, ACTFL Certification
1/1/2015 Program Management Professional (PgMP) Certification:
Project Management Institute
6/1/2016 Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification:
Project Management Institute
(Fees are Per Credential, effective July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013)
Matriculated Students: $294
Non-matriculated Students: CT Resident $321; Non-Resident $433
If you have questions about whether a license or certificate qualifies for this program,
or to obtain an application form please contact the Prior Learning Assessment Coordinator,
Linda Wilder at (860) 515-3862 / email@example.com.