The Portfolio Process
First, successfully complete IDS102: Prior Learning Portfolio Assessment
Our portfolio course is designed to help you analyze your experience, relate it to
specific college courses, determine what the learning objectives and/or topics covered
in the course would be, and choose appropriate supporting documentation. It will
guide you through the process of constructing a resume, identifying areas where you
have college level knowledge, writing a biographical overview of your relevant background,
analyzing course knowledge components, and completing a narrative essay that will
do the following:
- Describe what you know
- Relate that knowledge to every course knowledge component that you have identified
- Specify when, where and how you acquired that knowledge
- Present each piece of supporting documentation and describe how it supports your claim to
Tuition for this 3-credit course includes assessment of the portfolio you will develop
in class for one course of your choosing.
After completing IDS102, you will be eligible to submit additional portfolios for
To submit additional portfolios:
- Send a completed Application for Assessment, listing the course(s) you want to include
in your portfolio(s) to the Assessment Coordinator.
- Receive acceptance letter from Assessment Coordinator
- Send three complete copies of the portfolio(s), along with the Per Credit Attempted Fee to Charter Oak.
- Assessment takes a minimum of 2-4 months from the time we receive your portfolio.
When the assessment is complete, you will be notified of results, and will receive
copies of the assessment report for each course portfolio you have submitted for review.
Credit will be posted to your transcript in approximately 2-3 weeks of our receipt
of the final assessment report.