Chat Button
News & EventsSubscribe via RSS

Commencement 2015 student speaker April Cox
Barrington, RI resident named Charter Oak student speaker

Commencement 2015 speaker Colin McEnroe
Columnist and radio personality to speak at graduation

Commencement 2015 on May 31st
Over 550 students will comprise the Class of 2015, with 200 attending the ceremony

Charter Oak State College Enrollment Up 38%
The College's current enrollment is now at 2,836 students with over 2,000 of those students registered for online courses.

New CT Education Academy to Launch
Academy will provide training for CT state workforce

Charter Oak Ranked First for Affordability
College offers most affordable online degree program in state.

Connecticut Board of Regents for Higher Education

Applying for Aid

Application Requirements

Charter Oak State College is committed to making sure that all eligible students can benefit from financial assistance. To start, we suggest you visit the U.S. Department of Education's web site for an overview of the financial aid process at Student Aid on the Web.

Eligibility for federal student aid programs is based on financial need and other criteria as determined by the information you reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You must:

  1. demonstrate financial need (except for certain loans).
  2. have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate or complete a high school education in a home school setting that is treated as such under state law.
  3. be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree in an eligible program.
  4. be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen.
  5. have a valid Social Security Number.
  6. register with the Selective Service if required. You can use the electronic FAFSASM to register, you can register at, or you can call 1-847-688-6888. (TTY users can call 1-847-688-2567.)
  7. maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  8. certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant.
  9. certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.

Other factors:

The Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended (HEA) suspends aid eligibility for students who have been convicted under federal or state law of the sale or possession of drugs, if the offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study). If you have a conviction(s) for these offenses, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or complete the "Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet for Question 23 " to find out how this law applies to you.

If you have lost federal student aid eligibility due to a drug conviction, you can regain eligibility if you pass two unannounced drug tests conducted by a drug rehabilitation program that complies with criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education.

Civil Commitment for Sexual Offenses - A student subject to an involuntary civil commitment after completing a period of incarceration for a forcible or non-forcible sexual offense is ineligible to receive a Federal Pell grant.

Ready, Set, Apply for Financial Aid

Applying for federal student aid is quicker and easier than ever. We recommend that you apply online because it's the most accurate way to apply for aid.

Note: Remember to include the College's six- digit federal school code (032343) in step six of the FAFSA.

You should know that applying for financial aid is free when you use the FAFSA on the web site. You do not have to pay anyone to complete the FAFSA on your behalf or to have your questions answered. Help is also available online or by contacting the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 800-4-FED-AID (800-433-3243).

Prior to completing your FAFSA, we recommend that you obtain a PIN (if you have not already done so). Your PIN can be used each year to electronically apply for federal student aid and to access your Federal Student Aid records online. Your PIN serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records on several federal student aid websites including the ones listed below: