Chat Button
News & EventsSubscribe via RSS

New CT Education Academy to Launch
Academy will provide training for CT state workforce

Charter Oak Offers New Non-Credit Cybersecurity Courses
Courses teach latest cybersecurity skills

Charter Oak Ranked First for Affordability
College offers most affordable online degree program in state.

Four Join College Staff
Academic and leadership staff additions.

Charter Oak Launches Health Care Major
New major focuses on health care workforce

Charter Oak awards 2013 Community College Transfer Scholarship
Charlene Hill of Meriden, CT is awarded annual scholarship

Connecticut Board of Regents for Higher Education

U.S. Citizen Status Policy

A student has to be a citizen or eligible noncitizen in order to receive federal student aid.

All financial aid applicants are matched with the Social Security Administration's (SSA) records to verify name, date of birth, social security number, and U.S. Citizenship status. In some cases, when U. S. Citizenship cannot be confirmed, the Office of Financial Aid will require documentation of U.S. citizenship from the student.

U.S. Citizenship documentation may include:

  • U.S. passport, current or expired
  • Certificate of Naturalization

Recent guidance from the U.S. Department of Education requires all institutions to view original documents when verifying U.S. citizenship statuses for federal financial aid purposes. Before aid can be disbursed, a student must visit the Office of Financial Aid and provide original citizenship documentation for review. DO NOT MAIL ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS.

Students who are unable to come in person to the Office of Financial Aid are required to visit Social Security to update their citizenship status with SSA's records.

* The U.S. Citizensihp and Immigration Services does not update social security records for new U.S. citizens. Therefore, all naturalized U.S. citizens are required to update their Social Security record. It is important that your social security record is accurate and this includes your correct citizenship status.