Credit for Prior Learning - Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
Want to get credit for what you already know? Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is the way to do that. Use PLA to earn your degree quicker while saving money.
Are you wondering how long it will take to complete your degree and how to accelerate that process? You're in the right place: Charter Oak was designed for the adult student, we know that learning can take place outside the traditional college classroom, and we have the systems in place to help you get credit for your college-level learning. It doesn't necessarily matter where, when or how you learned something; if it matches a college course we can probably help you prove that and get credit for it.
Learn more about pathways to credit:
- Credit for Training and the Connecticut Credit Assessment Program (CCAP) with credits available from CCAP-reviewed programs
- Credential Evaluation and credits available from reviewed credentials
- Portfolio Program
- Credits Available grouped by career clusters
- Credit for Testing/Exams recognized by the Registrar's Office
Learn more by watching these videos:
- Prior Learning Assessment: Earn College Credit for What You Know
- Using Standardized Tests to Accelerate Your Way to a Degree
- Got Credentials: How to Receive College Credit for Non-Credit Training
- Proving What You Know by Developing a Prior Learning Portfolio
- Empowerment through Prior Learning Assessment
- Veterans: How to Receive College Credit for Your Military Training
- Veterans: From Serving Your Country to Serving Your Community
Learn more by watching this video with examples:
PLA Scholarships are available to help you; the application with instructions is on ACORN (you will need to log in to access this page).
See how the Connecticut Health and Life Sciences Career Initiative focuses on PLA.