General Studies Major & Concentrations
Some concentrations can be completed by taking Charter Oak State College courses exclusively; others require students to earn credits elsewhere in transfer.
Descriptions, requirements, and student learning outcomes are available for the following concentrations:
Subject Area Concentrations that can be completed entirely by taking courses at Charter Oak State College
- American Studies
- English (Literature)
- Information Systems Studies
- Paralegal Studies
- Political Science
- Public Administration
Subject Area Concentrations that can be completed by taking some courses at Charter Oak State College.
These concentrations require students to take courses elsewhere
- Computer Science Studies
- English (Creative Writing)
- Foreign Language
- Health Studies
- Judaic Studies
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who graduate with a major in General Studies will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of the subject area concentration or demonstrate knowledge of two or three areas of study if the concentration is Individualized through courses and work experience, as appropriate;
- integrate knowledge and modes of thinking from subject area(s ) chosen;
- think creatively about complex problems in order to construct, evaluate, and implement innovative possible solutions;
- communicate effectively through written, oral, and digital form knowledge of the subject area(s) and if Individualized Studies, how the subject areas relate; and
- use higher-order thinking skills such as interpretation, analysis, evaluation, synthesis, creative generation, and innovation.