Connecticut State Colleges and Universities
Charter Oak State College Official Catalog

Active Duty Deployments

Students called to active duty in the armed forces of the United States will be allowed to withdraw from their courses without penalty upon presenting an official copy of their military orders to the College Registrar. This must be done at the time a student is required to stop attending classes.

The College will credit 100% of tuition and fees for the term that the student departs to the term when the student returns to the College. Should the student not return, a refund of the tuition will be issued based upon the College’s refund policy at the time of withdrawal.

Students who withdraw will receive normal withdrawal notations (e.g., W, Withdrew grades) on the transcript. Students may, with the permission from the Provost/Dean, receive an Incomplete grade for one or more courses. Students who receive Incomplete grades are subject to all the policies regarding incompletes and will not receive a tuition refund for those courses in which an Incomplete is assigned.

Charter Oak students called to active military duty have the following options:

  1. Receive withdrawals with a refund of tuition for some courses and grades/incompletes in other courses, if approved by the Provost.
  2. Withdraw from all current semester courses with a full refund of tuition and fees.

When leaving the College for Active Military Duty:

  1. Provide a copy of your military orders to the Registrar’s Office.
  2. For Incomplete Grades: If Dean/Provost approves an incomplete grade, you and your professor should complete an Incomplete Grade Form, which is available on the Student Self Service Tab in ACORN. The incomplete grade form must be initiated by the student, and state the reason for the incomplete grade(s), as follows: "Called to Active Military Duty."

For Withdrawals: In the event that your military obligation does not permit adequate time to finalize grades or withdrawal, please contact the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar’s Office will act on your behalf to inform the appropriate persons and/or departments of your call to active military duty, and assist to finalize grades or process a withdrawal. Any grading options and planning for course completion, as agreed upon by your professors and the Dean/Provost, will be documented for you.


Charter Oak will promptly readmit a servicemember with the same academic status as he or she had when last attending or accepted for admission.  This status is defined as being admitted to the same program to which the student was last admitted or, if that exact program is no longer offered, the program that is most similar to that program, unless the student chooses a different program.   The student will be enrolled with the same number of credit hours previously completed, unless the student is readmitted to a different program to which the completed credit hours are not transferable.  The cumulative length of the absence and of all previous absences from the college for military service may not exceed five years.  Only the time the student spends actually performing service is counted.

The student must notify the Admissions Office of his or her military service and intention to return to school.

PDF | OFFICIAL CATALOG 2018-2019 > Military & Veterans > Active Duty Withdrawals