Medical Coding Certificate
The Medical Coding Certificate is designed for students who are interested in the profession of medical coding and wish to earn a medical coding credential from AHIMA or the AAPC. Charter Oak's online Certificate in Medical Coding equips students with the health care knowledge and skills needed to analyze and code patient data and improve reimbursement and data in today's health care environments. Knowledge of the electronic management of sensitive patient health information and health care organization revenue cycle management is critical for success in the health care field today. Our program is structured to provide a professional education with a comprehensive coding curriculum that includes a medical science foundation, and is guided by the principle of quality health care through quality information.
This Certificate is 21 credits, 12 of which must be taken at Charter Oak and all courses must be completed with a grade of 'C' or better.
|BIO 212: Anatomy & Physiology||3 cr|
|BIO 215: Pathophysiology||3 cr|
|HCA 105: Medical Terminology||3 cr|
|HIM 115: Principles of Health Information Management||3 cr|
|HIM 205: Reimbursement Methodologies||3 cr|
|*HIM 210: Clinical Classification Systems I||3 cr|
|*HIM 211: Clinical Classification Systems II||3 cr|
*All course prerequisites must be met.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete a Medical Coding Certificate will be able to:
- manage and collect patient health information;
- code diagnoses and procedures for reimbursement and billing;
- utilize medical coding software;
- analyze patient health records for documentation that meets accepted coding guidelines;
- query physicians for documentation clarification and interpretation;
- identify ethical, legal, and compliance issues as they relate to coding and reimbursement; and
- interpret medical documentation in relation to anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology.
Grades of 'C' or higher must be earned in each certificate course.