Connecticut State Colleges and Universities
Charter Oak State College Official Catalog

Acceptance of Undergraduate Credits from Other Institutions

Acceptance of Transfer Credit

Only credits that are applicable to the student’s current/active academic program will be transferred and transcripted towards a Charter Oak degree. Degree applicable credit is credit needed to complete the primary Major/Concentration along with other college requirements including Liberal Arts, General Education, Upper Level, and Free Electives. If a student changes their Major/Concentration after enrollment, transfer credit will be re-evaluated against the new Major/Concentration for degree applicability.

The College will allow up to 9 credits from a completed graduate program to be applied toward a Charter Oak undergraduate degree if the graduate credits subsume or duplicate the undergraduate credits. Graduate transfer credits cannot be used as electives in the undergraduate program. Graduate courses transferred in to meet undergraduate requirements may not be used as part of a future graduate program at Charter Oak. (Note: If there is a specific transfer limit on the undergraduate major/concentration/certificate that is more restrictive, that policy would apply.)

No more than 87 credits earned at two-year institutions can be credited toward an undergraduate degree program (unless deemed degree-applicable).

All grades or score reports must be sent in an official manner directly from the issuing agency to Charter Oak State College.

Note: It is the responsibility of the Registrar’s Office to determine the transferability of credit. If a student would like to appeal the transfer decision made by the Registrar’s Office, they may do so by completing the Petition form found in the ACORN Student Portal. A course syllabus and all other supporting documentation must accompany the appeal.

Credits from Regionally Accredited Institutions of Higher Education

To be accepted toward a Charter Oak State College degree, undergraduate credits must be earned from an institution of higher education which is licensed or accredited in the State of Connecticut to award degrees or regionally accredited at the time the credits were earned. Charter Oak recognizes the following regional accrediting bodies:

  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC)
  • WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)

Credit for Courses

Courses taken from a regionally accredited community college or 4-year institutions are generally transferable for credit provided they were applicable to at least one degree offered by that institution. Developmental and study skills courses, freshman seminar or orientation courses, and courses intended as review or exam preparation are not acceptable in transfer. Credits earned on the quarter system will be converted to semester credits upon transfer. Non-credit and professional development courses are not transferable.

Generally, there is no time limit on the acceptability of college course credits though some specific majors and concentrations may have stricter time-limit requirements. Refer to the Catalog for your specific major for more information. Grades of C (2.0) or higher must be earned in English Composition courses and all core requirements in a Major or General Studies Concentration in order to be transferable. Passing grades (D- or higher) may be used for other degree requirements. Grades of D- must be balanced by higher grades in order to achieve the C average (2.0) necessary for graduation.

Credit by Exam

Credits completed by institutional challenge examinations will be accepted in transfer provided that the courses were regularly listed and taught for degree credit in course format by the institution, appear on a regular transcript of the college awarding the credit as Institutional (not transfer) credit with a grade (P grade must be equivalent to a C or better) and credit hours. Proof of validation is required in all cases where an institution has awarded undergraduate credit on a basis other than completion of a conventional academic course of instruction.

Charter Oak State college will accept standardized examinations offered by regionally accredited institutions (TECEP, UEXCEL, NYU language Exams) with a grade of C or higher. Other college sponsored exams may be acceptable if it can be determined that the exams meet the strict evaluation criteria of COSC Faculty.

Prior Learning/Portfolio/Credential Credit/CCAP

Credits for Prior Learning Assessment including Portfolio, or Credential Credit awarded by a regionally accredited institution may be transferable for credit if the granting institution applies the same evaluation criteria as COSC Faculty, is a member of CACE, or adheres to the CAEL standards for the assessment of Prior Learning. Transferability of Prior Learning credit completed by another institution will be done on an individual student basis and is not guaranteed.

Transfer Credits from sources other than Regionally Accredited Institutions of Higher Education

International Credits

Credentials and credits from non-U.S. colleges must be evaluated by a recognized agency prior to review by Charter Oak. The College requires a course-by-course assessment in order to perform a transfer credit evaluation. Charter Oak recognizes the following agencies: Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) and World Education Services (WES). Institutions awarding credits outside the U.S. must be deemed to have the equivalent of U.S. regional accreditation in order for the credits to be transferable. If the rigor and content of the courses cannot be easily determined by the evaluator, the student may have to provide additional materials (syllabi, etc.) in order to have the course(s) appropriately evaluated for transfer. If a student has his/her credentials evaluated by more than one service, only one evaluation can be submitted and reviewed for transfer credit. In all cases, a student must earn a minimum of 30 U.S. credits for a bachelor's degree or 15 credits for an associate degree.

Credits from Non-Collegiate Course Providers

Charter Oak State College maintains a number of partner agreements with non-collegiate course providers and lists of transferable courses may appear on the partner’s website. The inclusion or exclusion of courses on these lists does not guarantee or automatically preclude the acceptability of transfer credit. The transfer guides are subject to change at the discretion of Charter Oak State College Faculty and the Registrar’s Office and may be updated at any time. Questions regarding the acceptability of credit or equivalency should be made prior to earning credits or before matriculating at Charter Oak State College. All other courses, programs or exams offered by alternative educational providers (non-regionally accredited entities) recommended for credit by NCCRS or ACE will not be accepted in transfer unless an agreement with the provider and Charter Oak exists. Typically, students will be limited to a total of 90 degree-applicable credits for a Bachelors degree and 45 degree-applicable credits for an Associate degree, from non-regionally accredited course providers, even if an agreement is in place.

Note: Charter Oak currently has agreements with the following organizations:

  • AP
  • CLEP
  • CSM Learn
  • DSST
  • StraighterLine
  • Saylor
  • Sophia


Credit by Exam

Credits earned via qualifying scores on standardized examinations offered by CLEP, AP and DSST can be used to fulfill Charter Oak State College undergraduate degree requirements. The catalog includes the scores needed for acceptance. All other exams offered by alternative educational providers (non-regionally accredited entities) recommended for credit by NCCRS or ACE will not be accepted in transfer unless an agreement with the provider and Charter Oak exists.

Credit for Certification/Licensure

Credits for a professional license, certification, or credential issued by a governmental agency or professional organization and obtained through a proctored qualification exam may be applied towards a COSC degree. Charter Oak’s Prior Learning Assessment program maintains Faculty reviews of professional licenses, certifications, and credentials within a number of career clusters. If a credential was issued or valid during the effective/validity dates of the Charter Oak review, credit may be granted. More information is available under the Credit for Prior Learning section of this catalog.

Military Credit

Most military training and experience are reviewed for college credit equivalence by the American Council on Education (ACE) and reflected on the JST (Joint Services Transcript) or from the regionally accredited Community College of the Air Force. The American Council on Education's (ACE) "Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services" will be used to evaluate military experience.

Military credits are awarded with grades of P and are considered transfer US credit for purposes of graduation. Credits in physical education and marksmanship/arms are not transferable, Specialty Internship credits from the Community College of the Air Force are not transferable. Up to 90 credits in total from Military, Corporate or Workforce non-collegiate Training Programs/Certificates or Apprenticeships recommended for credit by ACE can be transferred provided they are degree applicable.

Workforce and Training Programs

Charter Oak State College will accept up to 90 degree-applicable credits for a Bachelors degree and 45 degree-applicable credits for an Associate degree, in total from Military, Corporate or Workforce Training Programs/Certificates or Apprenticeships recommended for credit by the American Council on Education College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE), or National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS). Students are eligible to receive credit for workforce training successfully completed at the “C” (2.0) level or higher for undergraduate credit during the validity period for the credit review.

PDF | OFFICIAL CATALOG 2020-2021 > Undergraduate Admissions Policies & Matriculation > Acceptance of Undergradate Credits from Other Institutions