Veterans: From Serving Your Country to Serving Your Local Community

Connecticut Health and Life Sciences Career Initiative (HLSCI)

Careers in the health and life sciences can range from working in technical settings repairing sensitive medical equipment to working with patients (sometimes including other veterans) in traditional healthcare facilities. Who you are and what you learned as you served your country makes you a prime candidate for transitioning into positions that serve your local community. As you think about your future and the work you would like to be doing, you don't need to leave what you've learned in the past. You may even be able to earn college credit for the training you received during your military service.

Using Your Military Experience

Frequently, the training you received to learn your job in the military can be translated into academic credit. By using the information documented on your military transcript you may be able to transition into a health or life sciences career more quickly. See the American Council on Education (ACE) Military Guide for resources and information about the military training programs and occupational specialties that have been reviewed for credit. See the information for Veterans from Charter Oak to learn more about requesting your military transcripts and getting started on your educational path to your next career. Check out the information on the Health and Life Sciences Career Initiative (HLSCI) web page and these videos for information provided by the HLSCI grant:

Q: Do all colleges or institutions have to grant credit exactly as it appears in the ACE Military Guide recommendation?

A: No, each college or institution decides how to use ACE credit recommendations within the framework of their institution's policies and practices. ACE credit recommendations can be used:

  • to replace a required course
  • as an optional course within the major
  • as a general elective
  • to meet basic degree requirements
  • to waive a prerequisite

Using Your Benefits

You may be eligible for a variety of benefits and should contact the Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA) directly to determine your individual eligibility. Free education and vocational counseling services are available to service members and veterans.

"This product was funded by a grant awarded by the U.S. Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration. The product was created by the grantee and does not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Labor. The Department of Labor makes no guarantees, warranties, or assurances of any kind, express or implied, with respect to such information, including any information on linked sites and including, but not limited to, accuracy of the information or its completeness, timeliness, usefulness, adequacy, continued availability or ownership."