The certificate in Medical Coding is designed for students who are interested in the profession of medical coding and wish to earn a medical coding credential from AHIMA or the AAPC.
Charter Oak State College’s online Certificate in Medical Coding equips students with the healthcare knowledge and skills needed to analyze and code patient data and improve reimbursement and data in today’s healthcare environments. Knowledge of the electronic management of sensitive patient health information and healthcare organization revenue cycle management is critical for success in the healthcare field today.
Our program is structured to provide a professional education with a comprehensive coding curriculum that includes a medical science foundation, and is guided by the principle of quality healthcare through quality information. This is a 21 credit certificate.
Federal Financial Aid available to those who qualify.
Grades of C or higher must be earned in each certificate course.
BIO 212 Anatomy & Physiology3 credits
BIO 215 Pathophysiology3 credits
HCA 105 Medical Terminology3 credits
HIM 115 Principles of Health Information Management3 credits
HIM 205 Reimbursement Methodologies3 credits
HIM 210 Clinical Classification Systems I3 credits
HIM 211 Clinical Classification Systems II3 credits
Students who complete a Certificate in Medical Coding will be able to:
- Manage and collect patient health information
- Code diagnoses and procedures for reimbursement and billing
- Utilize medical coding software
- Analyze patient health records for documentation that meets accepted coding guidelines
- Query physicians for documentation clarification and interpretation
- Identify ethical, legal, and compliance issues as they relate to coding and reimbursement.
Why Charter Oak State College?
- 100% online
- Credit for credentials
- Six (6) start dates
- Expert Faculty