The certificate in Medical Coding is designed for students who are interested in the profession of medical coding and wish to earn a medical coding credential from AHIMA or the AAPC.
Charter Oak State College’s online Certificate in Medical Coding equips students with the healthcare knowledge and skills needed to analyze and code patient data and improve reimbursement and data in today’s healthcare environments. Knowledge of the electronic management of sensitive patient health information and healthcare organization revenue cycle management is critical for success in the healthcare field today.
Our program is structured to provide a professional education with a comprehensive coding curriculum that includes a medical science foundation, and is guided by the principle of quality healthcare through quality information. This is a 30 credit certificate.
Federal Financial Aid available to those who qualify.
This certificate is 30 credits, 12 of which must be taken at Charter Oak. Grades of C or higher must be earned in each certificate course.
BIO 212 Anatomy & Physiology3 credits
BIO 215 Pathophysiology3 credits
HCA 105 Medical Terminology3 credits
HIM 115 Principles of Health Information Management3 credits
HIM 205 Reimbursement Methodologies3 credits
HIM 210 Clinical Classification Systems I*3 credits
HIM 211 Clinical Classification Systems II*3 credits
HIM 220 Advanced ICD Coding*3 credits
HIM 221 Advanced CPT Coding*3 credits
HIM 290 Coding Practicum*3 credits
*All course prerequisites must be met.
Outcomes & Pathways
Students who complete a Certificate in Medical Coding will be able to:
- Manage and collect patient health information
- Code diagnoses and procedures for reimbursement and billing
- Utilize medical coding software
- Analyze patient health records for documentation that meets accepted coding guidelines
- Query physicians for documentation clarification and interpretation
- Identify ethical, legal, and compliance issues as they relate to coding and reimbursement.
- Interpret medical documentation in relation to anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology.
Question: How do I redeem my qualified credential(s) for undergraduate and/or graduate college credit with Charter Oak?
Answer: Tell us which credentials/certifications you’ve earned when you apply along with your member ID. We’ll do the rest. View the full list of evaluated professional credentials for credit.
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA) up to 20
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) up to 23
- Certified Documentation Improvement Practitioner (CDIP) up to 19
- Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC) up to 17
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CMA) up to 10
- Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) up to 4
- Neurophysiologic Intraoperative Monitoring (CNIM) up to 35
- Certified Outpatient Coder (COC) up to 23
- Certified Professional Biller (CPB) up to 9
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) up to 18
- Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO) up to 23
- Health Information and Management Systems, Certified Professional (CPHIMS) up to 9
- Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA) up to 25
- Certified Phlebotomy Technologist (CPT) up to 4
- Risk Adjustment Coder (CRC) up to 23
- Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) up to 29
- Emergency Medical Services Responder (EMR) up to 2
- Emergency Medical Services Technician (EMT) up to 4
- Emergency Medical Services Technician, Advanced (EMT-A) up to 6
- Health Services Executive (HSE)* up to 19
- Nurse, Licensed Practical (LPN) up to 16
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging technician (MRIT) up to 16
- Registered Behavioral Technician (RBT) up to 3
- Registered Electroencephalographic Technologist (RET) up to 19
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) up to 48
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) up to 37
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) up to 24
- Nurse, Registered (RN) up to 64
- Radiologic Technologist (RT) up to 33
- Paramedic up to 12
*Approved for Graduate level.
Why Charter Oak State College?
- 100% online
- Credit for credentials
- Six (6) start dates
- Expert Faculty