The Health Information Fundamentals for Health Professionals Certificate is designed for students who are employed in an administrative staff position within healthcare, primarily in an HIM department, who are looking to gain a better understanding of HIM and want to advance in their career.
This certificate is 12 credits, all of which must be taken at Charter Oak. All courses must be completed with a grade of C or above.
HCA 101: Health Care Systems and Administration3 credits
HCA 105: Medical Terminology3 credits
HIM 115: Principles of Health Information Management3 credits
HIM 205: Reimbursement Methodologies3 credits
Students who complete a Health Information Fundamentals for Health Professionals certificate will be able to:
- discuss the U.S. health care system and the various health care settings;
- identify the wide variety of healthcare providers and their roles and specialties;
- use and apply basic medical terminology;
- explain health information management and the various roles/positions/job functions that are part of an Health Information Management department;
- describe how coding and billing are impacted by varying health insurance plans; and
- explain the revenue cycle and it's direct impact on the health care organizations budget and financial success.
Why Charter Oak State College?
- 100% online
- Credit for credentials
- Six (6) start dates
- Expert Faculty