The Health Information Fundamentals for Health Professionals Certificate is designed for students who are employed in an administrative staff position within healthcare, primarily in an HIM department, who are looking to gain a better understanding of HIM and want to advance in their career.
This certificate is 12 credits, all of which must be taken at Charter Oak. All courses must be completed with a grade of C or above.
HCA 101: Health Care Systems and Administration3 credits
HCA 105: Medical Terminology3 credits
HIM 115: Principles of Health Information Management3 credits
HIM 205: Reimbursement Methodologies3 credits
Outcomes & Pathways
Students who complete a Health Information Fundamentals for Health Professionals certificate will be able to:
- discuss the U.S. health care system and the various health care settings;
- identify the wide variety of healthcare providers and their roles and specialties;
- use and apply basic medical terminology;
- explain health information management and the various roles/positions/job functions that are part of an Health Information Management department;
- describe how coding and billing are impacted by varying health insurance plans; and
- explain the revenue cycle and it's direct impact on the health care organizations budget and financial success.
Question: How do I redeem my qualified credential(s) for undergraduate and/or graduate college credit with Charter Oak?
Answer: Tell us which credentials/certifications you’ve earned when you apply along with your member ID. We’ll do the rest. View the full list of evaluated professional credentials for credit.
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA) up to 20
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) up to 23
- Certified Documentation Improvement Practitioner (CDIP) up to 19
- Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC) up to 17
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CMA) up to 10
- Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) up to 4
- Neurophysiologic Intraoperative Monitoring (CNIM) up to 35
- Certified Outpatient Coder (COC) up to 23
- Certified Professional Biller (CPB) up to 9
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) up to 19
- Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO) up to 23
- Health Information and Management Systems, Certified Professional (CPHIMS) up to 9
- Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA) up to 25
- Certified Phlebotomy Technologist (CPT) up to 4
- Risk Adjustment Coder (CRC) up to 23
- Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) up to 29
- Emergency Medical Services Responder (EMR) up to 2
- Emergency Medical Services Technician (EMT) up to 6
- Emergency Medical Services Technician, Advanced (EMT-A) up to 8
- Health Services Executive (HSE)* up to 19
- Nurse, Licensed Practical (LPN) up to 16
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging technician (MRIT) up to 16
- Registered Behavioral Technician (RBT) up to 3
- Registered Electroencephalographic Technologist (RET) up to 19
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) up to 48
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) up to 37
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) up to 24
- Nurse, Registered (RN) up to 64
- Radiologic Technologist (RT) up to 33
- Paramedic up to 41
*Approved for Graduate level.
Why Charter Oak State College?
- 100% online
- Credit for credentials
- Six (6) start dates
- Expert Faculty