Completing standardized exams is a very popular way for adult learners to earn credit. By taking tests in areas in which you already have experience and knowledge, you may quickly earn credits that can be applied toward completion of your Charter Oak degree.
There are many standardized exams and numerous test providers. To help guide you toward the exams that will work best for you please visit the pages highlighted below. Your Academic Counselor can also be a valuable resource in determining if testing will work for you.
Register for Standardized Exams at Charter Oak State College
Exams are administered online.
It has been our honor to offer in-person standardized exams at Charter Oak State College for over 40 years. Our in-person (CLEP & DSST) test center in Newington closed on March 30, 2023.
In Connecticut, students take their CLEP or DSST exam in-person at one of the centers listed below (schedules vary):
- Eastern CT State University
- Gateway Community College (CT State Community College – New Haven Campus..CLEP only)
- Housatonic Community College (CT State Community College – Bridgeport Campus)
- Southern CT State University (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Three Rivers Community College (CT State Community College – Norwich Campus)
- Western CT State University (email@example.com (CLEP only)
- Springfield Technical Community College (CLEP only)
- Holyoke Community College
- Berkshire Community College (CLEP only)
- Metro Testing Service or Patrick’s Academy (DSST only)
CLEP & DSST have in-person test centers in all other U.S. states and several other countries/territories.
Register for Other Standardized Exams
Before registering for an exam check with your Academic Counselor to ensure that the exam will fit your degree program.
For a list of exams and to learn how exams meet general education requirements, see Testing Programs in our Official Catalog.