Join Us! HIM, HI & HCA Virtual Open House
Wednesday, March 10 @ 6:00PM ESTRSVP
Have questions about our M.S. in Health Informatics, B.S. in Health Information Management & B.S. and M.S. in Health Care Administration Programs? Learn why Charter Oak is your home for online Health Care programs! Join Dr. Brooke Palkie, RHIA, Chair, Health Science & Technology Department; Cindy Edgerton, MHA, M.Ed, RHIA, Program Director, B.S. Health Information Management; Lori Gagne Pendleton, Admissions Director; and Bob Frederick, Associate DIrector Admissions.
Charter Oak's online bachelor's degree in Health Care Administration is designed to provide professionals working in the healthcare industry, or a healthcare related industry such as insurance, with the knowledge required to create, implement and efficiently administer programs and services delivered by healthcare and healthcare related organizations. This major requires a minimum of 42 credits.
Potential students who are interested in this Health Care Administration major may also be interested in our Health Information Management major.
- HCA 101 Health Care Systems and Administration 3 credits
- HCA 201 Health Care Quality Concepts and Principles 3 credits
- ACC 101 Financial Accounting 3 credits
- HCA 211 Health Care Finance/Business Finance 3 credits
- HCA 311 Economics of Health and Health Care 3 credits
- HCA 301 Contemporary Ethical Issues in Health and Health Care 3 credits
- HCA 401 Regulatory and Accrediting Requirements 3 credits
- HRM 310 Human Resource Management 3 credits
- One of the following:
HCA 450 Leadership in Health Care Administration
MGT 450 Leadership Practices
MGT 451 Team Leadership 3 credits
- Electives in Business, (e.g. MGT 315, MGT 365)
Health Care (e.g. HCA 325, HCA 330, HCA 350, HCA 411)
or in an approved related field 6 credits
- HCA 499 Capstone (Culminating course in concentration) 3 credits
- MAT 105 Co-requisite: Statistics 3 credits
- HCA 105 Co-requisite: Medical Terminology 3 credits
- Total 42 credits
Notes: Only grades of C or higher may be included in the major.
Students who graduate with a major in Health Care Administration will be able to:
- Describe the different types of healthcare delivery systems and services by comparing past, present, and anticipated changes.
- Discuss human resource management, behaviors, diversity, and policies and procedures.
- Review legal and ethical responsibilities in the healthcare organization as they relate to patient/client rights.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how healthcare quality is delivered, measured, and monitored using research methods to assess customer service and client satisfaction.
- Describe economic factors and payment sources that influence healthcare decisions of the population served.
- Explain financial risk and risk to the organization through evaluation and interpretation of appropriate data and performance reports.
- Identify regulatory and voluntary accrediting standards, process improvement concepts and principles and application to healthcare.
- Recognize the value of clinical informatics in making informed care decisions.
- Demonstrate communication, teamwork, leadership skills and competencies.
- Discuss global factors affecting the healthcare industry.
- Identify and apply strategic management principles and concepts.
Bachelor’s degree holders make $1 million more on average over their lifetime compared to their peers who have only a high school degree.*
Employees with a bachelor’s degree now make up 57 percent of total wages earned.**
Jobs requiring a Bachelor’s degree or higher accounted for two out of every three that were added in health care from Dec. 2007 - Jan. 2016.**
Get in touch with us today to talk about completing your degree online.
- (860) 515-3701
Why Charter Oak State College?
- 100% online
- Credit for credentials
- Six (6) start dates
- Expert Faculty