This course will focus on the functions of macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein and fat) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) and how they are digested, absorbed, and metabolized. The relationships between nutrition and wellness/disease; energy intake and energy expenditures; weight control, physical activity and diets will be examined. Food safety and food biotechnology will also be covered in this course. Students will analyze their own diets based on the material covered in the course. PowerPoint software may be required for group projects. (3 credits)
- High School Biology
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Describe the factors that influence eating habits.
- Utilize the Dietary Reference Intakes, Daily Values for Food Labels, and the Food Pyramid in food planning.
- Describe the processes of digestion, absorption, transport, metabolism, and excretion of nutrients in the human physiology.
- Describe carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, vitamins, and minerals with respect to their function and food sources.
- Evaluate nutritional information as it pertains to current food fads and/or popular diets.
- Discuss food safety in the home and in the environment.
- Compare and contrast the government agencies that are involved with food safety issues.
- Describe food biotechnology and its implications for society.
- Analyze one’s own diet using a computer-based program.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Group Presentations (Fad Diet and Government Agency)
Diet Analysis Project
(Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore)
- Whitney, Eleanor. Understanding Nutrition - with MindTap access. 15th ed. Cengage Learning, 2019. ISBN-10: 1-337-88153-1 or ISBN-13: 978-1-337-88153-1 [Looseleaf version]
- Cengage Learning. Diet and Wellness Plus - with Access Code. Cengage Learning, 2015. ISBN-10: 1-285-85623-6 or ISBN-13: 978-1-285-85623-0
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Overview of Nutrition, Planning a Diet
3, 4, 5, 9
Topics: Digestive System and Carbohydrates
4, 5, 9
Topics: Lipids and Proteins
4, 5, 9
Topics: Metabolism & Energy, Weight Management
4, 5, 7, 9
Topics: Water-Soluable Vitamins and Fat Soluble Vitamins
Topics: Water & Minerals, Minerals
Topics: Diet & Health
6, 8, 9
Topics: Consumer Concerns, Food Biotechnology
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.