This course surveys the American healthcare system, while examining types of healthcare providers and the skill set needed to support industry change, e.g., organizational leadership, patient services management, budgeting and planning, marketing, health information technology , industry trends, public policy, ethics, and the impact of the global economy on the delivery of healthcare. (3 credits)
This course meets certain CAHIIM competencies for HIM Majors.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Describe the history of healthcare in the U.S.
- Identify characteristics of the current U.S. healthcare system.
- Explain current healthcare initiatives and related website resources.
- Describe the government role and public health role in healthcare
- Differentiate the common healthcare settings and their characteristics: Outpatient, Inpatient, Long Term Care.
- Explain the different ways healthcare is financed by consumers in the U.S.
- Describe the impact that technology has made on healthcare.
- Identify and explain major healthcare laws and regulations.
- Discuss the concept of ethics and its application to healthcare organizations.
- Identify mental health issues related to the U.S. healthcare environment and society.
- Explain the characteristics of the wide variety of healthcare careers.
- Relate the topics of access to healthcare, health disparities, and social determinants of health to current healthcare issues in the U.S.
Course Activities and Grading
NOTE: If this is a core course for your major, you must earn a C or higher (73%) to pass the class.
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Final Reflection Essay (Week 8)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
- Niles, Nancy J. (2020). Basics of the U.S. Health Care System. 4th ed. Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett. ISBN-13: 9781284169874
Outside scholarly research may be performed by visiting the Charter Oak State College virtual library.
Each Week: The primary discussion post is due Thursday 11:59 EST and response posts and all assignments are due end of day Sunday.
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
The U.S. Health Care System - History and Current Operations
The Government's and Public Health's Role in U.S.Health Care
Inpatient and Outpatient Services; Long Term Care
U.S. Healthcare Workforce & Healthcare Financing
Managed Care Impact on Healthcare Delivery & Information Technology Impact on Health Care
Healthcare Law & Healthcare Ethics
Mental Health Issues
1, 2, 4
Analysis of the U.S. Healthcare System
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.