This course surveys the American health care system, while examining types of health care providers and the skill set needed to support industry change, e.g., organizational leadership, patient services management, budgeting and planning, marketing, health information technology , industry trends, public policy, ethics, and the impact of the global economy on the delivery of health care.
This course meets certain CAHIIM competencies for HIM Majors.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Describe basic leadership skills.
- Evaluate the American Health Care System.
- Construct pathways to meet the administrative concerns of patients.
- Explain the healthcare manager’s roles.
- Summarize how Electronic Health Records (EHRs) and other technological applications improve organizational efficiency.
- Analyze the general financial performance of a health care organization.
- Interpret critical components in lawful and ethical decision-making.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Reflection Papers (Weeks 1-8)
Midterm Exam Paper (Week 4)
Final Exam Paper (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
- Niles, Nancy J. (2018). Basics of the U.S. Health Care System. 3rd ed. Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett. ISBN: 9781284102888
Outside scholarly research may be performed by visiting the Charter Oak State College virtual library at http://www.charteroak.edu/library/
(Note: Course week runs Sunday 12:00 am EST - Saturday 11:59 pm EST)
Readings and Exercises
History of the U.S. Health Care System
Current Operations of the Healthcare System and Government's Role in U.S. Health Care
Public Health's Role in Health Care and Inpatient and Outpatient Services
|4||1, 3, 6|
U.S. Healthcare Workforce and Healthcare Finance
Midterm Exam Paper
2, 3, 4, 5
Managed Care Impact on Healthcare Delivery and Information Technology Impact on Health Care
1, 3, 4, 7
Healthcare Law and Healthcare Ethics
3, 4, 5, 7
Mental Health Issues
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Analysis of the U.S. Healthcare System
Final Exam Paper
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.