This course will introduce today’s healthcare environment including the various types of healthcare providers and healthcare organizations. Students will compare the different types of physician practices. Topics to be explored will include: duties of the medical office manager, the types and importance of communication amongst all stakeholders, tasks and responsibilities involved in managing the front office, appointment scheduling, patient protected health information (PHI) and non-PHI records management, human resource management, and the legal and ethical issues related to all of these areas. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- HCA 101: Health Care Systems Adminstration
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Compare and contrast the different types of medical practices.
- Demonstrate the duties of the medical office manager.
- Demonstrate communicating at a managerial level, including types and importance of communication amongst all stakeholders.
- Demonstrate tasks and responsibilities involved in managing the front office.
- Create policies and procedures surrounding appointment scheduling.
- Apply principles of patient protected health information (PHI) and non-PHI records management.
- Apply compliance with legal and ethical issues related to provider practice management.
- Apply principles of human resource management (recruitment, interviewing, supervision, retention, counseling, disciplinary action, remote work, change management) to common scenarios.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions Weeks 1-8
Quizzes Weeks 1-8
Written Assignments Weeks 1-8
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
Malone, C. Medical Office Management. 2nded. Pearson Publishing, 2018. ISBN-13: 9780134868288
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
Topic: Medical Practices
Topic: Medical Office Manager Duties
Topic: Medical Office Communications
Topic: Front Office Management
Topic: Appointment Scheduling
Topic: Medical Records, Legal and Ethical Issues
Topic: Personnel Management Part 1
Topic: Personnel Management Part 2
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.