This course is a continuation of the exploration of the knowledge and skills needed to manage a physician practice. Topics included will be: regulatory and compliance concepts, use of technology in the medical office, information technology, medical office policies and procedures, accounting and payroll, billing and collections, health insurance, medical coding, quality improvement, risk management, disaster planning, and marketing the physician practice. (3 credits)
- HCA 261: Physician Practice Management 1
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Apply regulatory and compliance concepts.
- Analyze use of technology in the medical office.
- Write medical office policies and procedures.
- Apply principles of accounting and payroll.
- Apply principles of billing and collections.
- Examine health insurance concepts, including ACO.
- Examine considerations surrounding the use of medical coding in a physician practice.
- Demonstrate principles of quality improvement.
- Apply principles of risk management and disaster planning.
- Demonstrate marketing the physician practice.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Quizzes (Weeks 1-8)
Written Assignments (Weeks 1-8)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
Malone, C. Medical Office Management. 2nded. Pearson Publishing, 2018. ISBN-13: 9780134868288
- Note: This textbook is also used in HCA 261.
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
Topic: Regulatory and Compliance
Topic: Technology in the Medical Office
Topic: Office Policies and Procedures
Topics: Accounting and Payroll
Topic: Billing and Collections
Topic: Health Insurance Concepts and Medical Coding
Topic: Quality Improvement and Risk Management
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.