In this course, students will explore the prominent technologies and systems that are changing healthcare and the management of healthcare organizations. The electronic health record, mobile health, telehealth, patient portals, and diagnostic technology will be covered. Students will explore how data analytics is changing the way management and care decisions are being made. Related legislation will also be discussed, along with healthcare reform and the future of healthcare technology. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Discuss the purpose and value of the electronic health record.
- Justify the use of an electronic health record over paper records.
- Distinguish between mobile health and telehealth.
- Justify the use of telehealth and mobile health for self-care and remote care.
- Relate healthcare technology and legislation that determines its use.
- Identify the value of intervention and diagnostic technology.
- Evaluate the effect of social media on healthcare.
- Describe the types of technologies that are affecting patient care and management of healthcare organizations.
- Analyze the use and purpose of data analytics in healthcare.
- Determine privacy and security issues surrounding the use of technology in healthcare.
- Suggest future uses of technology in healthcare.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (30 Pts each, Weeks 1-8)
Quizzes (Week 2, 5, 7)
Writing Assignments (Weeks 1,3,7)
Creative Assignments (Week 4, 6, 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Moss Richens, S. Emerging Technologies in Healthcare. CRC Press. 2015. ISBN 9781482262629
- HealthIT.gov. (2017, September 28). Telemedicine and Telehealth
- HealthIT.gov. What is a patient portal?
- HealthIT.gov. (2017, June 16). Resources for Mobile Health Apps Developers
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Electronic Health Records
Topics: Telehealth and Telemedicine
Topic: The Role of Mobile Health
Topics: Legislation and Trends in Emerging Technologies
Topics: Intervention and Diagnostic Technology
Topics: Social Media Use in Health / Patient Portals / Healthcare Reform and Risk Management
Topic: Healthcare Analytics
Topic: The Future of Technology in Healthcare
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.