This course will analyze various aspects of terrorism and emergency management and the responsibility of the health care administrator, manager, or leader responsible for facility preparedness, employees, and staff in any disaster situation.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- HCA 101: Health Care Systems Adminstration
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Examine the principles of emergency management for health care.
- Examine the workforce issues with hospital staff and outside agencies.
- Evaluate hospital operations during disasters and emergencies.
- Explain clinical consideration of responses to emergencies and disasters.
- Examine that there are special considerations that must be made for certain responses and populations during disasters and emergency response.
- Explain the role healthcare organizations play during and after terrorist attacks.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Midterm Exam (Week 4)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
- Reilly, M. (2011). Health Care Emergency Management. Jones & Bartlett Publishers. ISBN-13: 978-0-7637-5513-3
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
Topic: Principles of Emergency Management For Health Care, Part 1
Topic: Principles Of Emergency Management For Health Care, Part 2
Topic: Hospital Workforce Issues
Topics: Hospital Operations During Disasters and Emergencies
Topic: Clinical Considerations
Topic: Special Topics
Topics: Terrorism in the new age and what it means for healthcare providers
Topic: Dealing with Special Populations
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.