This course will focus on examining the regulatory and accrediting environments and discussing the difference between them as they apply to health care organizations. Topics will include HIPPAA regulations, corporate compliance, regulating bodies and accrediting agencies, and current legal and political health care issues. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Identify similarities and difference between regulatory and accrediting agencies for healthcare organizations.
- Access State and Federal regulatory agencies governing the healthcare industry to develop personal and organizational practices for meeting and exceeding standards expectations.
- Access accrediting agencies for healthcare organizations to develop personal and organizational practices for meeting and exceeding standards expectations.
- Identify and discuss the major public health policies that have shaped the U.S. healthcare system and their impact on the consumers and providers of these services.
- Examine the facts and principle of Healthcare Corporate Compliance Programs and HIPAA health privacy and security programs.
- Discuss the politics of healthcare and use political insights to improve the responsiveness of the internal systems.
- Demonstrate the confidence of a responsible and accountable participant in assisting the organization in meeting and/or exceeding ethical responsibilities and compliance with the law.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Assignment: History of The Joint Commission (PowerPoint)
Midterm Analysis Paper
Final Analysis Paper
- http://www.ache.org (Code of Ethics)
Readings and Exercises
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.