This course focuses on the operations management and the strategic implementation of programs. It provides students with an overview of the foundational principles of management, including management thinking, planning, motivational theories, strategies, cost and revenues, effective management teams and effective management behavior in health care and the health care systems in the United States. This course focuses on the role of Management and Supervision in Health Care Administration. (3 credits)
Associated Program Learning Outcome(s)
#1 Create a strategic plan for health care organizations or entire systems.
#2 Explain how to recruit, hire, lead and manage a diverse group of staff.
#4 Develop health care delivery goals and standards to lead organizations in quality care initiatives.
#11 Analyze what communication, teamwork, and leadership skills make an effective health care organization and develop an implementation plan.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Examine the functions of management.
- Assess leadership skills needed for the healthcare environment.
- Evaluate effective leadership skills.
- Analyze the managers role in the motivation and behaviors of people.
- Create elements of a sample strategic plan for a healthcare organization.
- Evaluate effective communication skills.
- Evaluate the success of teamwork.
- Compose healthcare delivery goals related to quality of care.
- Assess the complexities of managing healthcare professionals.
- Compose procedures for recruiting, hiring, reviewing, and disciplining staff.
- Relate management responsibilities to culture, diversity and health disparities.
- Assess the managers role and responsibility for technology.
- Assess the managers role and responsibility for health insurance issues, access to care, finances, and budget.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8, 25 points each)
Case Studies (Weeks 1, 2, 5 & 7)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Buchbinder, S., Shanks, N., Kite, B. (2020) Introduction to Healthcare Management. 4th ed. Jones and Bartlett. ISBN-13: 9781284156560
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Management and Leadership
Topics: Management, Motivation, and Organizational Behavior
Topic: Strategic Planning
Topics: Quality and Performance Improvement Basics; Health Information Systems and Technologies
Topics: Financing Health Care and Health Insurance; Managing Costs and Revenues
Topics: Managing Healthcare Professionals; Strategic Management of Human Resources
Topics: Teamwork; Addressing Health Disparities: Cultural Proficiency
Topics: Special Topics and Emerging Issues in Health Care management
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.