This course will cover basic theory, practices and guidelines of the ICD-10-CM/PCS coding system and compare it to various existing and past coding systems such as CPT-4 and ICD-9-CM. Students will code diagnoses and procedures from simplistic to complex, including real or simulated patient records. Students will be introduced to encoders and the coding compliance process. (3 credits)
This course meets certain CAHIIM competencies for HIM Majors.
- BIO 212: Anatomy and Physiology
- BIO 215: Pathophysiology
- HCA 105: Medical Terminology
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Identify coding systems used for reimbursement.
- Identify the relationship between patient record documentation and accurate coding.
- Explain and interpret ICD-10-CM/PCS conventions and coding guidelines.
- Apply the steps involved in the proper coding process for each coding system.
- Explain the healthcare reimbursement process and the relationship to coding.
- Identify ethical, legal, and compliance issues as they relate to coding and reimbursement.
- Evaluate, implement and manage electronic systems for clinical classification and coding.
- Evaluate the accuracy of diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Construct and maintain processes, policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy of coded data based on established guidelines.
- Manage coding audits.
- Implement provider querying techniques to resolve coding discrepancies.
- Determine policies and procedures to monitor abuse or fraudulent trends.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Note: A "C" grade or higher must be earned to pass this course.
|F||72.99% and below|
Discussions (Weeks 1-14)
Activities, Assignments and Labs (Weeks 1-15)
Quizzes (Weeks 1-14)
Final Exam (Week 15)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Schraffenberger, Lou Ann. Basic ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Coding - with Access Code. AHIMA Press, 2020. ISBN-13: 978-1-58426-744-7
Note: This textbook should be purchases new.
- Castro, Anne B. ICD-10-PCS Code Book, 2021. AHIMA Press, 2021. ISBN-13: 978-1-58426-812-3
- Castro, Anne B. ICD-10-CM Code Book, 2021. AHIMA Press, 2021. ISBN-13: 978-1-58426-810-9
- AHIMA Virtual Lab Access Code. (Good for one year from the date of purchase)
Note: Students need to purchase only one code/subscription to the AHIMA E-HIM Virtual Lab per year. A single code provides the access required for all Charter Oak State College HIM courses.
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
Topics: Introduction to Coding & Reimbursement
Topics: Introduction to ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Coding and Infections and Parasitic Diseases
Topics: Neoplasms and Disorders of the Blood
Topics: Endocrine System and Mental Health
Topics: Nervous System, Eye and Adnexa, Ear
Topics: Circulatory and Respiratory Systems
Topic: Digestive System
Topics: Skin and Musculoskeletal System
Topics: Genitourinary System and Pregnancy
Topics: Perinatal and Congenital Conditions
Topics: Signs and Symptoms
Topics: Injury, Poisoning, and External Causes
Topics: Other factors Influencing Health; ICD-10-PCS Wrap Up
Topics: Advanced Coding and Health Information Technology; Coding Software Demo
Topics: Coding Management, Quality, and Compliance
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.