This course will focus on intermediate to advanced principles and application of the ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS coding systems. Students will code more complex procedures using case studies along with real or simulated patient records. Advanced coding concepts related to hospital DRGs, case mix index, severity of illness systems will be covered. Students will be introduced to SNOMED, coding quality monitor reporting, crosswalks, and maps. A focus on coding compliance strategies will be included. (3 credits)
- HIM210: Clinical Classification Systems I
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Apply the steps involved in the proper coding processes for ICD-10-CM/PCS.
- Assign diagnosis codes according to official coding guidelines.
- Sequence diagnosis and procedure codes according to official coding guidelines.
- Consult reference materials to facilitate code assignment.
- Apply and promote standards of ethical coding.
- Explain and interpret factors that impact reimbursement (e.g., severity of illness systems, case mix index, present on admission status indicators, and medical necessity).
- Describe the uses and functions of classifications, taxonomies, nomenclatures, terminologies, clinical vocabularies, and code sets such as SNOMED-CT, LOINC, DSM-V, and ICD-O.
- Explain connection between coding and quality reporting.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (30 Pts, Weeks 1-2, 4-8)
Written Assignments (50 pts, Weeks 1-7)
Quizzes (30 pts, Weeks 1-7)
Virtual Lab Assignment (30 Pts, Week 3)
Final Exam (200 pts, Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Schraffenberger and Palkie.Basic ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Coding Exercises. 8th ed. AHIMA Press, 2022. ISBN-13: 9781584268413
- Castro, Anne B. ICD-10-PCS Code Book, AHIMA Press, 2021. ISBN-13: 9781584268468
- Castro, Anne B. ICD-10-CM Code Book, AHIMA Press, 2021. ISBN-13: 9781584268437
- AHIMA Virtual Lab Access Code. (Good for one year from the date of purchase)
Note: Students need to purchase only one code/subscription to the AHIMA E-HIM Virtual Lab per year. A single code provides the access required for all Charter Oak State College HIM courses.
- Schraffenberger and Palkie.Basic ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Coding. AHIMA Press, 2022. ISBN-13: 9781584268390
OPTIONAL for reference: This book was required in HIM 210 Clinical Classifications I and does not need to be repurchased.
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Coding Ethics and Advanced ICD-10 Coding
Topics: Coding Resources and Advanced ICD-10 Coding
Topics: Severity of Illness and Advanced ICD-10 Coding
Topics: Case Mix Index and Advanced ICD-10 Coding
Topics: Present on Admission, Medical Necessity, and Advanced ICD-10 Coding
Topics: Crosswalks, SNOMED, and Advanced ICD-10 Coding
Topics: Compliance, Quality, and Advanced ICD-10 Coding
Topics: Course Wrap-Up and Final Exam
Covers all course content areas
SLOs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.