This course is an overview of concepts and issues related to healthcare supervision, management and leadership. Through the examination of management and leadership topics, the student will explore the skills and knowledge needed to be successful in a diverse healthcare environment in a variety of situations. Topics include the role of the supervisor or manager, the functions of management, delegation, time management, the hiring process, motivating, developing and mentoring staff, performance appraisal, communication, managing change, budgeting and teamwork. Students will also learn various employment laws and regulations. (3 credits)
This course meets certain CAHIIM competencies for HIM Majors.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Distinguish between management and leadership and demonstrate management and leadership skills.
- Discuss the functions of management.
- Apply general principles of management in the administration of health information services.
- Analyze the roles of leaders and managers in influencing organizational culture, performance, and change.
- Communicate at a managerial level (to include reports, strategic plans, meetings and committees).
- Apply principles of human resources management (recruitment, interviewing, supervision, retention, counseling, disciplinary action, negotiating, change management) to common scenarios
- Ensure compliance with employment laws.
- Create and implement staff orientation and training programs for professional development and continuous learning.
- Analyze workflow processes and responsibilities to meet organizational needs and evaluate performance measures.
- Develop productivity standards for health information functions and monitor staffing levels and productivity.
- Discuss the development, motivation, and support of work teams and the importance of teamwork in healthcare organizations.
- Demonstrate budgeting skills within a health information department to include cost-benefit analysis.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
- McConnell, C. 2015. The Effective Health Care Supervisor. 8th Edition. Jones and Bartlett, Massachusetts. ISBN-13: 9781284054415
- Oachs, P. and A. Watters. Health Information Management Concepts, Principles and Practice. 5th ed. Chicago, IL: American Health Information Management Association, 2016. ISBN-13: 9781584264897
Note: This textbook is used in several HIM courses and should be saved for preparation for the RHIA exam.
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Management and Leadership in the Healthcare Environment; The Functions of Management
Topics: Delegation, Time Management, and Personal Supervisory Effectiveness
Topics: Interviewing, Motivation, Performance Appraisal, Discipline
Topics: Leadership; Managing Professional Employees; Problem Employees; Partnering with HR
Midterm Practice Exam Due in Week 5
Topics: Management Ethics; Decision Making; Communication; Managing Change
Topics: Budgeting and Cost Control; Productivity; Teamwork; Methods Improvement; Reengineering
Topics: Effective Meetings; Continuing Education; Employment Law
Topics: Strategic Planning, Unions and Final Exam
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.