Students who have selected an Individualized Studies or Liberal Studies concentration are required to complete a capstone experience in which they demonstrate fulfillment of the various outcomes of their concentration. Each student will complete a capstone project. A successful project will demonstrate that the student understands clearly his or her concentration, has mastered the content of the selected fields of study, and can synthesize and apply what he or she has learned.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
The student who successfully completes this course will:
- Create a project proposal that will demonstrate how the student will present evidence of the mastery of the concentration outcomes in their capstone project.
- Participate substantively in peer review of project work done by other students in the course.
- Complete a capstone experience project to be evaluated by the instructor that demonstrates the student's mastery of concentration outcomes.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions and Peer Reviews
Capstone Project Topic (Week 1)
Capstone Proposal Draft (Week 2)
Capstone Proposal Final Draft (Week 3)
Capstone Project Draft 1 (Week 5)
Capstone Project Draft 2 (Week 7)
Final Capstone Project (Week 8)
- Students should have an up-to-date reference guide for citation methods used in the discipline of their primary concentration area.
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Introduction to the Capstone Experience
Topic: Project Proposal
Topic: Project Value Statements and Peer Responses
Topic: Project Work and Peer Responses
Topic: Project Draft 1
Topic: Project Revisions Continue
Topic: Project Draft 2 and Peer Review
Topic: Final Capstone Project
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.