This course examines the sources of evidence, the nature of inquiry, and research concepts. Qualitative and quantitative research methods are compared and applied. Skills needed to select, critique and apply nursing research are developed. Levels of evidence are explored and applied to developing an evidence‐based practice brief in the student’s area of clinical interest.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- MAT 105: Statistics
- NUR 301: Baccalaureate Nursing Role
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon completion of this course, the student will have gained knowledge about:
- Identify and analyze sources of evidence relevant to the type of research inquiry.
- Describe the research process utilizing applicable concepts and terminology.
- Differentiate between evidence, theory and research in nursing practice.
- Compare qualitative and quantitative methodologies in nursing research and the appropriate application of each.
Apply skills of research critique and interpretation of studies to determine application of research to practice.
Apply levels of evidence to explore approaches to inquiry related to a clinical practice question/issue.
Describe rationale for research addressing diverse groups for generalizability of results and application to practice.
- Design an evidence based practice project that demonstrates appropriate application of research to practice.
- Identify and investigate a clinical nursing problem of interest to develop and present a current, comprehensive evidence-based practice brief.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (10 pts ea.; Weeks 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)
Homework Assignments (10 pts ea; Weeks 1,4,6)
PICOT Question (10 pts; Week 1)
Submission of Research Articles (10 pts; Week 2)
Quiz (15 pts; Week 3)
Quantitative Critique ( 40 pts; Week 3)
Qualitative Critique (40 pts; Week 4)
Wikis (10 pts ea; Weeks 3 & 7)
Blogs (10 pts ea; Weeks 4,5 & 8)
|Implementation Table (10 pts; Week 5)||2%|
|Outcome Measures (10 pts; Week 6)||2%|
|Evaluation Table (10 pts; Week 7)||2%|
|Integrative Review Paper (40 pts; Week 8)||10%|
|PowerPoint Presentation (40 pts; week 8)||10%|
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Melnyk, B.M., & E. Fineout-Overholt. (2019). Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing & Healthcare. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer. ISBN-13: 978-1496384539
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Introduction to Evidence-Based Practice Developing Searchable Clinical Questions
Topics: Searching the Literature for Supporting Evidence, Commonly Used Healthcare Databases & Introduction to Critical Appraisal of Evidence
Topics: Appraisal of Quantitative Studies Synthesizing Quantitative Research findings
Topic: Appraisal of Qualitative Studies
Topics: Ethical Considerations for EBP Implementation and Evidence Generation
Topics: Quality Improvement and Outcomes Models for Implementing EBP
Topics: Creating a Vision and Motivating a Change to EBP in Individuals, Teams, and Organizations
Topic: Disseminating Evidence
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.