This course will focus on various leadership styles and a leader's influence on an organization. The course will further examine theory and practice of leadership models and concepts; and build on coaching, mentoring, motivational, and empowerment models required to develop effective leadership skills. (3 credits)
- OEL 501: Learning Community
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Examine key motivational theories and concepts associated with coaching and mentoring.
- Analyze leaders to determine how individual personality and behavioral styles motivate others.
- Explain how coaching and mentoring impact or support organizational change.
- Apply theories, concepts and models presented in this course as a practical approach to develop effective leadership teams.
- Examine contemporary issues of coaching and mentoring and their relationship to effective leadership and management.
- Examine coaching and mentoring in practice in terms of contracting roles, assessment, communication, relationship, feedback, and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrate the coaching process through a leadership project.
Applicable Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
- PLO 2. Evaluate and formulate an individual leadership style.
- PLO 3. Develop professional communication skills.
- PLO 4. Recommend how one develops effective groups.
- PLO 5. Construct organizational leadership strategies.
- PLO 7. Design and implement organizational change processes.
- PLO 9. Develop strategies that support the advancement of organization’s vision and mission.
- PLO 13. Conduct research utilizing online sources and databases and write research papers that analyze and synthesize information and data gathered.
Course Activities and Grading
Peer Coach Assignments: 8 @ 60 points each
Discussion Board: 8 @ 40 points each
Leadership Profile Project
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- McCarthy, Grace. Coaching and Mentoring for Business. 1st ed. Sage Publishing, 2014. ISBN-10: 0-85702-336-5 or ISBN-13: 978-0-85702-336-0
- Rath, Tom and Barry Conchie. Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow - with Access Code. Gallup Press, 2008. ISBN-10: 1-59562-025-7 or ISBN-13: 978-1-59562-025-5.
Note: This book should be purchased NEW only to receive a valid access code for the Strength Finder assessment.
- Zachary, Lois J. The Mentor's Guide: Facilitating Effective Learning Relationships. 2nd ed. Jossey-Bass Publishing, 2012. ISBN-10: 0-470-90772-X or ISBN-13: 978-0-470-90772-6
Supplemental Required Readings/Resources
- Links to the supplemental readings and articles are provided in the course shells.
Readings and Exercises
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.