This course will educate students about the interplay between big legal issues and the political system. The course covers the issues that are at the center of both law and politics: the death penalty, gun control, school prayer, and censorship are played out in politics, law and TV.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Review the major premises and arguments of both sides of the issues that we discuss.
- Engage in an in-depth review of one of these issues.
- Articulate reasons for and against large political issues.
- Defend their positions based on reasons and acquired knowledge.
- Develop arguments, based on readings and their own thoughts, to support their positions.
- Construct one in-depth argument exploring all facets of one of these issues.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Reaction Papers (Weeks 3, 4, 6 & 7)
Research Paper (Week 8)
- There are no required texts for this course.
The following are suggested credible websites for research on the issues in class:
http://www.balancedpolitics.org/ - This website covers every issue in our class.
http://www.procon.org/ - This website does not cover every issue in our class.
Legalization of Drugs (Marijuana):
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignment(s)|
Topic: Death Penalty
Topics: Death Penalty (cont...) and Affirmative Action
Topic: Affirmative Action (cont...)
Topic: Legalization of Drugs
Topics: Legalization of Drugs (cont...) and Gun Control
Topic: Gun Control (cont...)
|Topics: Miscellaneous Issues and Conclusion|
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.