This is the capstone course for the Psychology major and should be taken in the student's last semester. The student can have no more than 6 credits remaining in their major to complete in their degree program prior to enrolling in this course. The goal of the course is for students to conduct a literature review of both primary and secondary sources, and then synthesize this information into the writing of an in-depth paper featuring a hypothesis, research methodology, and conclusion. This course must be taken at Charter Oak State College. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- PSY 101: Psychology
- PSY 216: Psychology Statistics
- PSY 410: Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the various sub disciplines of psychology, which may include, but are not limited to: cognitive, behavioral, physiological, humanistic, socio-cultural, and psychodynamic.
- Synthesize information from both primary and secondary sources of information (i.e., academic journal articles).
- Solve problems by applying previous knowledge to a new problem and then be able to identify the difference between what is a pseudoscience and what is based on the scientific method.
- Write about a psychological topic or phenomena with clarity and logical organization.
- Understand psychological phenomena both systematically and empirically.
- Use qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, including statistical reasoning, research design, and evaluation of data.
- Synthesize learning of the concentration through a research paper.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Week 1-8)
120 (15 pts each)
Proposal and Hypothesis (Week 2)
Paper Assignments (Weeks 3, 4 & 5)
60 (20 pts each)
Paper Rough Drafts (Weeks 3, 4, and 6)
150 (50 pts each)
Paper Submission to Turnitin.com (Week 7)
Final Paper (Week 8)
Required TextbooksAvailable through <div> <p>Available through <a href="https://bookstore.mbsdirect.net/vbm/vb_home.php?FVCUSNO=35478" target="_blank">Charter Oak State College's online bookstore</a></p> </div>
- American Psychiatric Association. (2010). Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. 6th ed. Washington, DC: Author. ISBN-13: 9781433805615
Note: This textbook is used for PSA 440, PSY 410 and PSY 490.
- Capstone Writer. (2009). Producing the Capstone Project. Lulu Publishing. ISBN-13: 9780557088454
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Getting Started on the Capstone Project
Topics: Writing and Submitting a Proposal
Topic: Title Page
Topic: Reference Page
Topics: Method Section
Topic: Data Analysis
Topic: Checking for Plagiarism
Topic: Final Paper Submission
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.