This course will focus on human genetics. The student will acquire an understanding of the basic concepts in inheritance in order to solve simple genetic problems and recognize common misconceptions regarding human heredity. The student will be able to describe the structure and replication of DNA and its role in protein synthesis in order to understand the chemical basis of genetics and the use of DNA in genetic engineering and biotechnology. Cannot be used toward Biology concentration. (4 credits)
- A high school biology course or a one-semester introductory general biology course for non-majors. Cannot be taken by students who have taken a genetics course at another Institution or BIO 110.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Tests (Weeks 4, 8, 12 & 15)
Research Paper (Week 14)
(Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore)
- Cummings, Michael. Human Heredity, Principles and Issues. 11th ed. Brooks/Cole Publishing, 2016. ISBN-10: 1305251059 or ISBN-13: 978-1305251052
Additional Required Materials
(Not available through MBS Direct. Order directly from Publisher.)
- Biology Lab Kit - Students will purchase access to LateNite Labs
Please use the following steps:
- Click on the red Sign Up button under Student on www.latenitelabs.com
- Click the Student icon.
- Enter your email address and desired password.
- Click Register. You will receive a confirmation email that you have registered.
- You will be brought to the Student Dashboard page.
- Enter your first name, last name and section code in their respective fields. The section code for this course is 81628654.
- Select Credit Card Purchase for your enrollment type.
- Enter the first and last name on your credit card, card number, expiration date (mm/yy), and security code.
- Click Enroll. You will receive a confirmation email with your username and password.
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Mendelian Genetics
Topic: Pedigree Analysis
Topic: Complex Patterns
Topic: Sex and Development
Topic: DNA and Chromosomes
Topic: Proteins and Phenotype
Topic: Evolution and Populations
Topic: Cloning and Recombinant DNA
Topic: Biotechnology and Ethics
Topic: Gene Therapy
Topic: Genes and Immunity and Behavior
Topic: Genes and Cancer
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.