This course will provide a practical understanding and general overview of the American criminal justice system. Students will be introduced to a description of the major law enforcement agencies and their history, including the organization and function of the police, prosecution, corrections, and court systems. (3 credits)
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Understand the American criminal justice system from a universal approach;
- Understand the three components of the criminal justice system;
- Define the differences between criminal justice system and civil justice system;
- Understand and utilize the distinctive terminology within the criminal justice system;
- Recognize the diverse components of the criminal justice system and how they relate and work together with one another;
- Have a familiarization with criminal law and how it relates with crime, criminal justice professionals and public expectations;
- Understand and better prepare for entry-level careers in the criminal justice field.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-7)
Midterm Exam (Week 4)
Written Assignment (Week 6)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Schmalleger, Frank. Criminal Justice Today. 16th ed. Pearson Publishing, 2021. Pearson Rentals. ISBN-13: 978-0-13-577058-0 [eText version]
- Schmalleger, Frank. Criminal Justice Today - Revel Access. 16th ed. Pearson, 2021. ISBN-13: 978-0-13-577053-5
Readings and Exercises
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.