This course will provide students with an overview of the foundational principles of leadership including motivation, team building, power and politics, leadership tools and ethics. The focus of the course is on resource assessment, changing regulatory and other factors that influence the health services environment, and the impact this has on the strategic planning process. The course provides extensive practice with techniques and tools for strategic planning in health administration. (3 credits)
Associated Program Learning Outcomes
- #1. Create a strategic plan for health care organizations or entire systems.
- #11. Analyze what communication, teamwork, and leadership skills make an effective health care organization and develop an implementation plan.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Evaluate processes for developing a strategic plan for a health care organization.
- Analyze and map external issues, trends, and events in the general environment, the health care system, and the service area.
- Create a comprehensive service area competitor analysis.
- Perform an internal analysis and differentiate the competitive advantages and competitive disadvantages.
- Critique directional strategies for healthcare organizations.
- Investigate strategic alternatives and compare rational strategic decisions for a health care organization.
- Justify a comprehensive strategy for a health care organization.
- Create effective value-adding service delivery and support strategies for strategic implementation.
- Synthesize service delivery and support plans into specific action plans to match strategic plans.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Individual SWOT Assignment (Week 1)
Team Charter (Week 2)
Reflective Journal 1 (Week 3)
|Midterm Exam (Week 4)||15%|
|Individual Case (Week 5)||10%|
Reflective Journal 2 (Week 6)
Team Project & Peer Evaluation (Week 7)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Ginter, Duncan and Swayne.The Strategic Management of Health Care Organizations. 8th ed. John Wiley & Sons, 2018. ISBN-13: 978-1-119-34971-6
Readings and Exercises
Topic: The Nature of Strategic Management
Topic: External Analysis
Topic: Service Area Competitor Analysis
Topics: Internal Analysis and Competitive Advantage
Chapters 1, 2, 3 & 4
SLOs 1, 2, 3 & 4
Topic: Directional Strategies
Topics: Identifying Strategic Alternatives, Evaluation of Alternatives and Strategic Choice
Topics: Value-Adding Service Delivery Strategies, Value-Adding Support Strategies
Topics: Communicating Strategy and Developing Action Plans
Chapters 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10
SLOs 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.