This course is designed to introduce students to the basic concepts of health policy including policy formulation, implementation and modification. The latter two activities are illustrative of the interrelationship between health policy and health care regulation. Accordingly, contemporary policy and regulatory strategy will be examined through the prism of health care reform and the stakeholders whose interests are impacted by certain policy choices or by the passage or interpretation of a law. (3 credits)
Associated Program Learning Outcomes
#4 Develop health care delivery goals and standards to lead organizations in quality care initiatives.
#6 Assess economic factors and payment sources that influence health care decisions of the population served.
#9 Explain the connection between the regulatory and voluntary accrediting standards and health care policies and procedures.
#12 Analyze global factors affecting the health care industry.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Analyze healthcare policy.
- Identify the importance of determinants of health.
- Outline the U.S. health policymaking process at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Describe the financing and delivery of the U.S. healthcare system.
- Explain vulnerable populations and subpopulations in healthcare.
- Outline the U.S. health policymaking process at the International level.
- Compare and contrast characteristics of the US health care system with other countries health care systems.
- Assess characteristics of health policy research.
- Evaluate methods of health policy research.
- Conduct health policy research.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (20 Pts each, Weeks 1-7)
Assignments (20 Pts each, Week 1-7)
Final Assignment (100 Pts, Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Shi, Leiyu. (2019). Introduction to Health Policy. 2nd. ed. ISBN-13: 978-1-64055-025-4
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Overview of Health Policy
Topic: Health Policymaking
Topics: Health Policy Financing and Delivery
Topic: Health Policy for Diverse Populations
Topics: International Policy Making and Issues
Topic: Health Policy Research
Topic: Example of Health Policy Research
Topic: Final Project
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.