This course is designed to provide an in-depth understanding of the concepts, strategies, and solutions that support the planning, scheduling, controlling, resource allocation, and performance measurement activities required for successful completion of a health information system project utilizing project management tools and frameworks. (3 credits)
Associated Program Learning Outcomes
1. Apply healthcare informatics and technology concepts and skills to case studies and real-world situations
4. Improve the various healthcare functions associated with the integration of information technology by implementing technology initiatives
7. Determine best practices for implementation of technology initiatives through effective project management
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Implement the elements of project management design, development, and deployment.
- Utilize the principles of project management to successfully conduct a project.
- Create a project charter by leveraging the business documents.
- Analyze the impact of stakeholders in relation to project management.
- Construct a project management plan, which will result in scope management and requirement management.
- Design a WBS that leads to plan schedule management, estimation and schedule development.
- Illustrate how to organize a resource management plan.
- Conduct and propose project work through resource acquisition, team development and management, quality management, communication management, change management and risk management.
- Evaluate a project through monitoring and controlling processes.
- Conduct and present project closure to document lessons learned, execute final transition and prepare a final project or report.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (70 Pts, Weeks 1-7, 10 points each week)
Midterm Exam (50 Pts, Week 4)
Project Assignments (210 Pts, Weeks 1-7, 30 points each week)
Final Project (30 Pts, Week 8)
Final Exam (100 Pts, Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
- Heldman, K. PMP Project Management Professional Exam Study Guide. 10th ed. Sybex Publishing (Wiley), 2021. ISBN-13: 978-1-119-65897-9
- Other course material, including case study information, will be provided as required reading within the course.
|Week||PLOs||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
Topics: Initiating & Planning
Topic: Planning (Continued)
Topics: Monitoring & Controlling
Topics: Monitoring & Controlling (Continued)
Topic: Closing (Continued)
Final Exam Paper
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.