This course will focus on the basic theory, practices, and guidelines of the Current Procedural Terminology coding system, and an overview of HCPCS. Students will code procedures from simplistic to complex, including real or simulated patient records. Students will evaluate coding software and perform a coding audit. (3 credits)
This course meets certain CAHIIM competencies for HIM Majors.
- BIO 212: Anatomy and Physiology
- BIO 215: Pathophysiology
- HCA 105: Medical Terminology
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Identify coding systems used for reimbursement.
- Identify the relationship between patient record documentation and accurate coding.
- Verify that documentation in the health record supports the encounter.
- Explain and interpret CPT conventions and coding guidelines.
- Apply the steps involved in the proper coding process for each coding system.
- Explain the healthcare reimbursement process and the relationship to coding.
- Identify ethical, legal, and compliance issues as they relate to coding and reimbursement.
- Evaluate, implement and manage electronic systems for clinical classification and coding.
- Evaluate the accuracy of procedural coding.
- Explain the purpose of HCPCs coding.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Written Assignments & Exercises (Weeks 1-7)
Quizzes (Weeks 1-6)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Bowie, Mary Jo. (2019). Understanding Current Procedural Terminology and HCPCS Coding Systems. 6th Edition. Delmar Publications. ISBN-13: 9781337397513
- CPT Coding Manual 2019 - Professional Edition. (2018). American Medical Association. ISBN-13: 978-1-62202-752-1
(Note: Course week runs Monday 12:00 am EST - Sunday 11:59 pm EST)
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Introduction to Current Procedural Terminology and Modifiers
Topics: Evaluation and Management; Documentation Guidelines; Anesthesia; Surgery; Integumentary System
Topics: Musculoskelatal System; Respiratory System, Cardiovascular System; Hemic and Lymphatic Systems
Topics: Mediastinum and Diaphragm; Digestive System; Urinary System; Male Genital System
Topics: Female Genital System; Maternity Care and Delivery; Endocrine System; Nervous System
Topics: Eye and Ocular Adnexa; Auditory System and Operating Microscope; Radiology; Pathology and Laboratory; Medicine
Topics: HCPCS Codes; Coding Software Practice
Topic: Final Exam
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.