This course will focus on examining how to drive change and improve business performance by introducing enterprise-wide project management into an organization. Topics include formation of a project management office (PMO), management of a portfolio of projects and review of the Project Management Institute's (PMI) Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) and the requirements for professional certification. (3 credits)
- MGT 460: Fundamentals of Project Management
- MGT 462: Effective Project Management
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Recognize the warning signs that indicate the potential for project failure or cancellation
- Explain how to assess the viability of a project against the business plan
- Explain the purpose, structure and contents of the PMBOK
- Build, analyze, manage and monitor a portfolio of projects
- Create a team that is accountable and can manage project benefits, schedule and finances
- Evaluate risks, opportunities and what goes right and wrong with a project.
- Select the right actions to ensure successful closure and satisfied tem members.
- Prepare for taking the PMI certification examinations.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Homework Assignments (Weeks 1-8)
|Project Charter (Week 5)|
|Final Exam (Week 8)|
Available through Charter Oak’s online bookstore
- Crowe, Andy. The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try. 6th ed. Velociteach, 2019. ISBN-10: 0-9909074-7-3 or ISBN-13: 978-0-9909074-7-3
- Kerzner, Harold. Project Management. 12th ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2017. ISBN-10: 1-119-16535-4 or ISBN-13: 978-1-11916535-4
- Project Management Institute. A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge. 6th ed. Project Management Institute, Inc., 2017. ISBN-10: 1-62825-184-0 or ISBN-13: 978-1-62825-184-5
Note: This guide is also used for MGT 462: Effective Project Management
- Wysocki, Robert. Effective Project Management. 8th ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2019. ISBN-10: 1-119-56280-5 or ISBN-13: 978-1-119-56280-1
Note: This text is also used for MGT 462: Effective Project Management
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
Topic: Using Projects to Drive Change
Topic: Walking Through the Project
Topic: The Project Management Body of Knowledge
Topic: Managing Multiple Projects
Topic: Making Projects Work
Topic: Dealing with Difficulties
Topic: Reviews and Closing the Project
Topic: Preparing for PMI Certification
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.