This course will focus on the fundamental principles of behavioral science research. There will be an overview of the conceptual need for research and an analysis of the methods or designs commonly employed, as well as the procedures utilized to collect and analyze data. Students will review and design research in their areas of interest. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- MAT 105: Statistics
- PSY 101: Psychology or SOC 101: Sociology
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- You will be able to develop and refine a research topic that you are interested in.
- You will be able to conduct a literature search on the Internet and locate and retrieve Psychological articles that are associated with your research topic.
- You will be able to write an introduction for a manuscript based on a review the articles they retrieved.
- You will become familiar with writing in APA style and will write an APA style manuscript, including title page, abstract page, introduction, conclusion and reference page.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-13)
Assignments (Weeks 1-13)
Exams (Week 2, Week 4, Week 6, Week 8, Week 10)
Research Paper (Week 15)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- American Psychological Association. Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. 7th ed. American Psychological Association, 2020. ISBN-13: 978-1-4338-3216-1
- Gravetter, Frederick and Lori Ann Forzano. Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences. 6th ed. Wadworth, Inc., 2019. ISBN-13: 9781337613316
Readings and Exercises
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.