This course provides an introduction to the Spanish language and culture and includes the necessary oral practice of dialogues, vocabulary and basic grammar to communicate in Spanish at a basic level. Students will record paired exercises in Spanish and actively listen to videos and tutorials to help acquire listening and speaking skills. (3 credits)
The course requires a computer microphone and the purchase of an access code to complete online speaking, listening, video and written activities.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
By the end of the semester, students who have successfully completed all activities and requirements will be able to perform the following tasks in Spanish:
- Demonstrate basic Spanish comprehension skills as native speakers discuss:
- themselves, their families and friends
- their preferencess
- their immediate environment (the weather, the campus, classes, the city, etc.)
- and their daily and leisure routines and/or activities.
- Use words, lists of words, phrases and some sentences to speak in some detail about the aforementioned topics.
- Write brief and simple compositions in complete sentences and paragraphs about the above topics which are comprehensible to a sympathetic native reader.
- Read simple texts prepared for foreign readers dealing with cultural products and some cultural practices involved with the topics cited above.
- Recognize and compare cultural similarities and differences between their own culture and Hispanic culture.
- Recognize and compare some language similarities and differences between Spanish and English.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-15)
Assigned textbook activities (Weeks 1-15)
Pruebas/Tests (Weeks 3, 6, 9, 12 & 15)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Goodall, Grant and Darcy Lear (2022). Conéctate: Introductory Spanish - with Connect Access. 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill Publishing. ISBN-10: 1-264-40538-3 or ISBN-13: 978-1-264-40538-1 [Loose-Leaf version]
- Microphone and headset
Readings and Exercises
Hola, ¿qué tal?
¿Qué clases tomas?
El horario: el trabajo y las estudias
¿Cómo se describe?
Las rutinas diarias
Una familia famosa
|13||1-3||¿A dónde vas?|
Planear un viaje
La semana final
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.