- COM 101 - Speech Communication: 3 credits, lower division level
- ENG 101 - English Composition 1: 3 credits, lower division level
- PUB 101 - Intro to Public Administration: 3 credits, lower division level
- Introduction to Library Public Services: 3 credits, lower division level
February 2012 through December 2021
Source of Records
Verification provided online at https://www.biznet.ct.gov/AccountMaint/Default.aspx
About the Credential
Passing the Library Technical Assistant credentialing exam is required to qualify for employment as a Library Technical Assistant in the State of Connecticut library system. In the State Library, a state college or university, or a state agency, a Library Technical Assistant is accountable for performing a full range of supportive and/or paraprofessional tasks in any function of the library including acquisition, cataloging, interlibrary loans, reference and circulation.
Applying for the Credit
Submit a Credential Credit Application to apply for the credit.
- Charter Oak students: Log into the ACORN Student Portal and look in Student Self-Service / Student Forms.
- Non-Charter Oak students: Contact the PLA Office to request a Credential Credit Application.
Introduction to Library Public Services: 3 credits, lower division level
This course deals with the public service aspect of library work, which includes circulation, reserve, and publicity. Competencies include the ability to explain the role and philosophy of library service in different types of libraries, list the process for circulating materials and how ILS work, comprehend the processes of Reference and Reader's Advisory, know the steps for performing interlibrary loans, understand the differing needs of children, adults, and persons with special needs, be familiar with public relations and marketing tools, provide excellent customer service, be familiar with the issues of intellectual freedom and censorship.