Connecticut State Colleges and Universities
Charter Oak State College Official Catalog

Course Transfer Policy


If an undergraduate student is receiving financial aid from Charter Oak, the student must send the transfer transcript to the Registrar's office regardless of the grade earned within twenty one (21) days after the end of the semester. Only grades higher than F are accepted in transfer. Charter Oak will determine the amount and level of credit based on policies approved by its faculty.

Charter Oak accepts in transfer grades of D- and above. Grades of C (2.0) or above are required in concentration and major courses, and English Composition. Neither the Cornerstone nor the Capstone course may be taken at another institution; these courses must be taken at Charter Oak State College.

Charter Oak will allow 9 credits from a completed graduate program to be applied toward any Charter Oak undergraduate degree. The major or concentration must be 36 credits or more and the graduate credits subsume or duplicate the undergraduate credits. If the undergraduate certificate is less than 36 credits, no more than 6 credits will be accepted in transfer. Graduate courses transferred in to meet undergraduate requirements may not be used as part of a future graduate program at Charter Oak.


Graduate students can transfer in up to six (6) credits of course work from other regionally accredited institutions. They may also earn an additional six (6) credits through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). The credits must be equivalent to the content offered in one of the required courses of the program.

Transfer credits can be no more than 10 years old and will only be accepted with grades of B or higher in courses substantially similar in content, and equivalent in term credit hours, to those offered at Charter Oak State College. The final determination of transfer credit is made by the Graduate Program Director in conjunction with the Registrar.

Transfer credits will be calculated in the student’s Career Graduate GPA. Courses with a grade of P/F (Pass/Fail) or S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) will not be accepted toward the student’s Graduate program.

Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) Transfer Ticket Degrees 

CSCU’s Transfer Ticket associate degree programs provide pathways for community college students to complete bachelor's degree programs at Connecticut State Universities (Central, Eastern, Southern, and Western) and Charter Oak State College without losing any credits in transfer towards a bachelor’s degree in that same discipline. Students will be able to transfer, apply to competitive admissions majors, and complete thier BA/BS degree in the same time and with the same course requirements as students who start at a CSU or COSC. 

The Transfer Ticket Programs available at Charter Oak State College include:

  • Business Administration
  • Communication
  • Criminal Justice
  • ECTC
  • English with a Literature Focus
  • History
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Sociology

Please visit for details.