Incomplete Grade Policy
Because online courses rely heavily on threaded discussions, incomplete grades are not given unless there is an emergency situation. Incomplete grades may be given only in the following circumstances:
- The student's work to date is passing;
- Attendance has been satisfactory through at least 60% of the term;
- An illness or other extenuating circumstance legitimately preventing completion of required work by the due date; (Documentation will be required to submit with this form)
- Required work may reasonably be completed in within a two-week period;
- The incomplete is not given as a substitute for a failing grade;
- The incomplete is not a means of raising his or her grade by doing additional work after the grade report time.
In these circumstances, a student may request a two (2) week extension. Students must complete the following process in order to request an incomplete:
- The "Request for Incomplete Grade" form may be obtained by logging into the MyCharterOak Student Portal Student Self Service tab.
- The student initiates the request for an incomplete grade at least one week before the end of the term.
- Undergraduate students must e-mail or fax the form to the Provost, along with appropriate documentation. Graduate students must e-mail or fax the form to the Graduate Director, along with appropriate documentation.
- The Provost/Director will determine if the documentation is sufficient to warrant the instructor to consider an extension. The Provost/Director will either approve or deny.
- If the Provost consents, the Provost will contact the instructor. The instructor will state the requirements for completion of the course on this form. The instructor will return the form to the Provost and the Provost will send a copy of the approved form to the student.
- The Provost/Director will notify the Registrar of approved Requests for Incomplete Grades.
- The instructor submits the final grade to the Registrar on the Change of Grade form.
- Incomplete grades appear on the transcript for two-weeks.
- After two-weeks, if coursework is still incomplete, grade will change to 'F'.