Skip to main content
Charter Oak State College Official Catalog

Grading Standards

The minimum acceptable levels of academic performance for the award of a Charter Oak State College degree is a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.0, and a cumulative graduate grade point average of at least a 3.0. This is based on a scale of 0.0 to 4.0 with no grade below D- included in the calculation.


Letter GradeGrade Points

Withdrawal (W)

Student officially withdrew from the course.

Administrative Withdrawal (AW)

Student was registered but never attended and was therefore administratively withdrawn.

Audit (AU)

Audit grades are not eligible for transfer.

No Grade (NG)

No final grade was received.

Pass (P)

Pass grades are transcripted for students, but have no numerical equivalency and are not calculated as part of the GPA.

  1. Pass Grades: The College does not record on an individual's record any information concerning transferred courses, examinations, or credit by portfolio for which the grade or score was below the level of a Pass.

    1. For all undergraduate students, in all courses and/or proficiency examinations reported on a Pass/Fail system, a grade of Pass must equal a C or higher. This includes credit for examinations for which a standard score is used to determine Pass or Fail and credit for portfolios. Only letter grades equal to a C or above may be used for course work in the concentration or major, to meet the Written Communication requirement, or to meet the Prior Learning Portfolio Development course requirement for portfolio submission. Grades equal to C-, or lower, may be used as electives if they are applicable.
    2. For all graduate students, any credit awarded by portfolio will be reported with a grade of Pass and must equal a B or higher. Only letter grades of B or above may be used for course work in the Applied Research Project and Capstone Seminar courses.
  2. Incomplete grades (INC) may be issued to students under extenuating circumstances. The incomplete grade will last no longer than two weeks. Students who wish to obtain permission for an incomplete grade must complete the "Request for Incomplete Grade" form found in the student portal.

  3. All grades earned in Charter Oak State College courses will become part of the student's permanent academic record.