Join Us! Health Care Virtual Open House
Wednesday, April 22 @ 5:00PM EST
Learn about our online Bachelors, Masters, Certificates.
Attendees APPLY FREE during the event (a $50 value).
Meet: Ed Klonoski, College President; Dr. Brooke Palkie, Program Director, M.S. Health Informatics and M.S. Health Care Administration; Cindy Edgerton, Program Director, CAHIIM-accredited B.S. Health Information Management; Lori Gagne Pendleton, Director, Enrollment Services; Moses T. Adgers, Admissions Counselor, Enrollment Services
Have all of your Higher Ed Health Care questions answered!
Level up with an online M.S. in Health Informatics!
Do you want to help transform the world of Health Care? The M.S. HI program will help to create and grow highly effective leaders in the fields of Health Data and Applied Informatics. Graduates of the program will gain critical knowledge of the innovative tech and analytical skills needed today to transform and improve health care delivery, administration, research and outcomes. Program begins August 2020.
The comprehensive Master of Health Informatics curriculum focuses on the interdisciplinary study of the design, development, adoption and application of information, data and technology driven innovations in healthcare. Informatics is a top healthcare career choice because it combines patient care with health IT skills for the purpose of analyzing data. Health informatics impacts all areas of healthcare from the patient to administration to research. The focus is on the technical components of healthcare to help reduce medical errors, increase efficiency, reduce costs, and make savvy service decisions for the populations being served.
Students who graduate with a Master of Science in Health Informatics will be able to:
- Apply healthcare informatics and technology concepts and skills to case studies and real-world situations.
- Calculate and assess health data and statistical data for decision making in the healthcare environment.
- Develop policies and procedures for healthcare organizations in areas such as legal, ethical, privacy and security and information governance.
- Improve the various healthcare functions associated with the integration of information technology by implementing technology initiatives.
- Develop system design and software initiatives for healthcare organizations.
- Compile, conduct and create new information based the use of technology and datasets through data analytics.
- Determine best practices for implementation of technology initiatives through effective project management.
- Compare and contrast the varying medical vocabularies and classification systems for best use in health information technology initiatives.
The Master of Science in Health Informatics is 33 credits. There is no room in the degree for elective credits.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution, or international institution equivalent to a U.S. regionally accredited institution, with a grade point average of 3.0 or better. Students with GPA’s between 2.7 and 3.0 may be considered in combination with other admissions criteria.
- Professional resume.
- 500-700 word essay describing specific career goals and objectives and motivation to pursue the advanced degree.
- An undergraduate course in Statistics is required. This may be satisfied by taking MAT 105 Statistics from Charter Oak, or an equivalent transfer course. It may also be fulfilled by the completion of an online, non-credit statistics review course administered by Charter Oak by the beginning of the second term of the program.
Employment in the Health Information field is projected to grow 15% from 2014 – 2024
(source: Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Average annual salary of a digital health professional is $109,610
(source: 2018 HIMSS U.S. Compensation Survey)
Informatics jobs span industries from public health to business, nursing, technology and more!
Get in touch with us today to talk about earning your master's degree online.
- (860) 515-3701
Why Charter Oak State College for Your Graduate Degree?
- 100% Online
- 33 credit program
- 8 week courses
- Expert faculty