This course deals with those aspects of law which affect businesses. It covers fundamental elements of the legal system, and uses professional negligence as the vehicle for demonstrating the system of judicial precedent; the essentials of establishing and performing simple contracts and the remedies available in the event of a breach; the essential characteristics of the various forms of business relationships ; and the nature of property, instruments and devises.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Explain the manner in which behavior within society is regulated by the civil and the criminal law;
- Identify and explain the sources of law;
- Explain and illustrate the operation of the doctrine of precedent by reference to the essential elements of the tort of negligence, by which we mean duty, breach and damage/loss/injury;
- Explain the application of the tort of negligence to professional advisers.
- Identify business and agency relationships
- Explain labor and employment legislation
- Explain the essential characteristics of negotiable instruments and risk bearing devises
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Required Textbooks (Available through Charter Oak’s online bookstore):
Mallor, Jane. Business Law, the Ethical, Global and E-Commerce Environment. 16th ed. McGraw-Hill Publishing, 2016. ISBN-10: 1-259-40859-0 or ISBN-13: 978-1-259-40859-5 [Loose-Leaf Version]
Readings and Exercises
Unit 1, Law and Legal System Crimes & Torts
Unit 2, Contracts
Unit 3, Sales
Unit 4, Property: Real & Personal
Unit 5, Credit
Unit 6, Commercial Paper
Unit 7, Business Organization
Unit 8, Corporations and Regulation of Business
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies and the “Course Policies” link for specific policies related to this course. COSC Resources information regarding available COSC academic support services and resources.